Going to PV in Feb and never been there!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not for diving. But there are several day and sunset cruises around on boats with heads.

Hi Steve,
We've dove with a few shops in Puerto Vallarta (always in February) and I would highly recommend Pacific Scuba. Very helpful people and good divers. We always dove with a small group in a decent, comfortable boat. I would stay away from Chico's and Vallarta Adventures - definitely the epitome of cattle boats.

For dinner....treat your self to dinner at Hacienda de la Angel (spelling??). Google it and you can get the info. Not sure if you're married or have a girlfriend, but she'll talk about this dinner for a long time. It's a really cool atmosphere with fantastic food. BE SURE TO CALL FOR A RESERVATION A FEW WEEKS BEFORE YOU ARRIVE IN PV! There's also a great place to eat called the Vista Grill - a little pricey, but great views if you can get a table on the rail. Good luck, dive safe and enjoy PV.

Just got back late last night from PV. I went diving with Pacific Scuba and highly recommend them. I posted to you on another thread also. No head on the boat, as it is a small one. As far as things to do, if you like to get a taste of real local custom and culture, here are a couple ideas. On Sunday night from 7 - 9 PM there is dancing at the square in front of the Lady of Quadalupe (sp??) Church, which was fun to see and participate in. Also, one of my favorite little restaurants is Pepe's, across the street from a large gas station that is right on the bus line into centro from the hotel zone. Their BBQ pork tacos are to die for. Order three to start ($1.80) and go for more as your appetite allows. Its cheap, tasty, and very local Mexican. Nothing fancy, tho. And the carmelized onions are wonderful too! Speaking of the bus lines, I love them! 5 pesos gets you on and off anywhere along the line. Its a surfing experience - bumpy, loud, rattly, very native, and I laugh the whole time I'm on. Almost every night there are shows of various sorts on the malecon (the sidewalk along the beach downtown) - and by shows I mean local kids break dancing, or Huichol indians dancing or singing or playing instruments, or clowns giving a skit of some sort, or magicians or something. Sometimes people are making sand sculptures or stacking rocks, painting, selling food and goods of various assortments. Its very lively. There are numerous tours, such as the canopy tours over the top of the jungle, taking a boat to Yelapa, a no-electricity village accessible only by boat with horses to rent and a waterfall to see - I could go on and on. Check out the internet, then talk with the locals. ENJOY!!

MAREMD50......I'll second the PePe's nomination! The margaritas are served in mini fish bowls, which is not a good thing when you see how high the curb is from the sidewalk down to the street in front of PePe's! I guess after 2-3 of those margaritas, you land "softer" on the street.

if your looking for a small dive shop with a boat with a head. try twin dolphins they have a nice boat with one on it.

Hows the diving and can anyone recomend a dive charter to go with.not a cattle boat something with a head on it.also would like to here from anyone who just came back.thanks steve.<><<<">

We just returned from PV and while there I dove Los Arcos with Leslie and Nacho My Homepage. I chose Leslie on the basis of Scubaboard recommendations and because I've always had more fun with smaller, more personalized operators. Diving with Leslie was no exception. I would definitely recommend her to those who understand that slick advertising doesn't necessarily translate to the best diving experience.

This was my first dive on the Pacific side of Mexico, so I wasn't sure what to expect in the way of conditions. I was also worried that a nagging back problem might ruin the trip. In addition, I wanted my non-diver wife to come along and enjoy a day on the water.

So, conditions at Los Arcos: water cool but not freezing in the mid-upper sixties, depending on depth, tolerable without a hood at our 75' max depth. Fair visibility, about 30 feet with enough krill and plankton to give the water a greenish tint. Fish and other creatures everywhere - definitely a different variety than in the Caribbean. I have to say that after reading all the posts that generally put down the Los Arcos site, I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. While Leslie and I were in the water, my wife had a great time talking to Nacho and watching the schools of angel fish come to the surface looking for bananas. The day we spent with Leslie and Nacho was one of the highlights of our vacation and we're looking forward to doing it again next year.

Back
Top Bottom