Going to PV in Feb and never been there!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divescubasteve1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hows the diving and can anyone recomend a dive charter to go with.not a cattle boat something with a head on it.also would like to here from anyone who just came back.thanks steve.<><<<">

I was there last April for 2 of my certification dives. I believe the dive shop was Vallarta Adventures. I'm to new to comment on the quality of the charter.

I will say that it was a long boat ride, appox. 1 hr out to the dive site.

The visibility was 40 -50 ft at the most.

The water very cold for being that far south. I was glad to finnish my second dive and I was wearing a 5 mil wet suit. Some of the people couldnot finnish their second dive because of the cold.

It was not much better than diving in the old ore mines here in Minnesota.

I learned on trip that if I want to dive we should stay in the Caribean for our cruises.

Hi Steve,
I just replied to your post on the thread linked below, so I don't wish to repeat the same info here.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tr...uerto-vallarta-dive-master-recomendation.html

Clay, Despite the latitude, the water temp on the Pacific side is always colder than on the Carribean due to the currents, but that also helps increase the diversity of life. Waters do warm up for the summer months.

Steve, Have fun!

Elena

I strongly recommend Leslie and Nacho from Puerto Vallarta Local divers. They're great, friendly, personable, and you won't be supporting Vallarta Adventures (which has captive dolphin petting and other practices that I personally find to be highly offensive as a person concerned about the environment.).

Leslie is on the board here as leslieinpv.

They're fantastic and you're guaranteed to have a great time with them!

I also echo the comments about Leslie and Nacho as was very pleased with their service last May. Small, personalized service and, depending on where you are staying, possibly able to pick you up at or near your hotel. Another good operator is Pacific Scuba....again not a cattle boat and a good staff....I used them as well.

Temperatures are colder and and a shorty will not be enough. I used a 3 mil full suit and was fine but everybody's metabolism is different. I don't doubt that you should be able to ask the dive op about suit rentals.

The better dive sites are further out of the bay and the payback for the longer ride is greater vis, better marine life and healthy reefs. A two tank dive tends to end mid afternoon and not much sooner.

I wouldn't shy away from Puerto Vallarta at all. Certainly it is different than parts of the Caribbean but different is good and it is worth experiencing. I have dived there on close to a dozen trips and, although I enjoy warm and toasty water, I always enjoy PV diving.

Was in PV last October dove with Chicos at Los Arcos. Simply average. Very small boat but the site was close. There web site gives a good review of the sites but don't get your hopes up. PV is good for drinking not diving. I've heard first hand mixed reviews for the offshore stuff.

The comment that PV is good for drinking not diving, is I think, really misguided. PV is great pacific coast diving and there's a lot to see there. Yeah, it's not Cancun and 100' vis, but it has a charm of it's own. Swimming with the Manta's off of Chimo is something I'll remember forever!

thanks for the feedback.how should we dress in feb?is the sun strongI ck the temps everyday 69 to 79 for the high. also is there a lot to do there other than drink, I can do that anywhere.besides I need to dry out from the holidays,and now superbowl is coming up.place to visit or eat does anyone know? we are renting a car steve mich,we are staying about 3 days

thanks for the feedback.how should we dress in feb?is the sun strongI ck the temps everyday 69 to 79 for the high. also is there a lot to do there other than drink, I can do that anywhere.besides I need to dry out from the holidays,and now superbowl is coming up.place to visit or eat does anyone know? we are renting a car steve mich,we are staying about 3 days

There's a lot to do there!

My favorite part of our trip besides the diving was doing a trail ride in the foothills up to a waterfall. We also went on a short plane ride to an old village (San Sabastien) where we visited an organic coffee plantation.

There's also fantastic dining in PV. Don't miss Trio's for a really great meal. And if you dive with Nacho and Leslie, be sure to pick up some breakfast at the little shop near where they tie up their boat.

are there any larger boats maybe one with a head I am going with a non diver.I only see pictures of smaller boats steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom