Going to GREECE - Advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquanaut011

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello my fellow divers,

My friends and I are going to be sailing Greek islands this Summer.
I know all about regulations on diving in Greek waters.
Our boat is fully equipped (including compressor), and we are all highly certified divers with a lot of experience, so what we would not need is any kind of assistance from local dive centers.
What we would need is good advice on good dive sites, so we could plan well in advance both our sailing route and for any special kind of dives (caverns, wrecks, deep,....and so on).
That being said, I would appreciate , any advice and tips on interesting, not to miss dive sites in the islands wherever they may be.

Thank you :)

BR

Alex

Take some Drachma :wink:

I would phone ahead and ask about local laws. Not too long ago it was forbidden in Turkey and in Greece to dive without a local guide. Not because they didn't think people could dive but because they wanted to make sure that people weren't taking "treasures" off the bottom. Local authorities can tell you whether or not these rules are still in effect.

R..

The Scuba Connection: What about restrictions regarding recreational scuba diving in Greece?

We acknowledge that this is just a loose frame of diving regulations in Greece, and that there even may be local, micro-rules as to where we should or shouldn't dive.
We have every intention to notify local port authorities of our presence, before we engage in underwater activities in the area.
Now, if we have cleared that out, let us "talk" about the dive sites of your preference, guys...please :)

Chios is supposed to be very good. I plan to go there mid September when the visibility is supposed to improve. Does this help?

Sorry that I don't have personal experience yet. One of my diving friends from Bulgaria has done a fair bit of shore diving near Thessaloniki. But that doesn't help. Before I dove, when I was in Rodos, my friend dove, but said it was disappointing. My focus is finding pictures to decide, thought that can be deceiving.

Zakynthos is famous for the turtle beaches. But you have to get the timing right

Take some Drachma :wink:

I would phone ahead and ask about local laws. Not too long ago it was forbidden in Turkey and in Greece to dive without a local guide. Not because they didn't think people could dive but because they wanted to make sure that people weren't taking "treasures" off the bottom. Local authorities can tell you whether or not these rules are still in effect.

R..

10 years or so ago had to get permission from the Turkish gov't---ahead of time..........@ least that's the way the Windstar(s) had to do it,ie passengers would have to put in for dives like 3 or 4 days ahead of time---with passport info given to gov't etc....Our son was then a water sports director for Windstar Cruises & worked the Med. for about a year & a half of the 2 years he worked for them(scuba instructor & he'd take em out on the dives after permission was granted etc etc)........

Back
Top Bottom