Going to Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JaX NeMo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm going to Florida at the end of the year for work & travel. Would be working at the airport, it's my first time going to USA, and alone.

Can you guys please advise me on the followings?
1. Price of fast foods at the airport. (Tampa International Airport)
2. Where to go diving.
3. Flight price from KualaLumpurIA, Malaysia to TampaIA, USA
4. Price of train to travel around the city.
5. What to expect, places to have fun.

Thanks!

When you have the exact dates you will be in, just let us know. We will try to set up a Conch event during your stay. It would be fun.

Sorry, may I know, what's a conch event?

anyway, can anyone answer my initial questions... trying to figure out how my cashflows would be like. thanks ya!

Am pretty Asian here, would love to get to know more about Americans. :wink:

JaX NeMo:
Hi guys!

I'm going to Florida at the end of the year for work & travel. Would be working at the airport, it's my first time going to USA, and alone.

2. Where to go diving.

Thanks!

1. Don't eat at the airport! Fast food is expensive there and the airport cafeteria will probably kill you. Seriously.

2. Gulf of Mexico, Florida springs, East coast, Keys.

3. Check with Continental or Delta.

4. No trains. City bus service, taxis and private vehicles.

5. Depends on what you do for fun! Ybor city is good, lots of malls and of course there is diving.

Good luck.

well, bcoz i would be working at the airport...
how much does a meal usually cost in tampa?

JaX NeMo:
well, bcoz i would be working at the airport...
how much does a meal usually cost in tampa?
Tampa International (airport code TPA) is very close to MANY different food options. I would suggest having a few days to tour around the area prior to starting work so you have an idea of what is near by. Meals would vary from $4 to as high as you wish to go depending on where you go to get food and type of food you'd eat. $4-6US will mostly get you fast food. $6-20 will get you something mild to reasonably healty depending on the resturant or store.

Depending on your work hours, you may wish to schedule your food break times for either prior or post the 'lunch' or 'dinner' hours as travel is most unfun.

There are no trains. City transit is semi-reliable. How long are you here?

DIVING - Welcome to FL... what kind of diving do you want to do? Springs, cavern/cave, saltwater (its different on the east coast than the west coast, different on the north east coast the the south east coast), shallow, deep, drift, hunting? Welcome to FL.. a few hours any direction and your dive can be different :)

JaX NeMo:
Hi guys!

2. Where to go diving.

Thanks!

1. Airport food is a bit more expensive vs. the same fast food places around most towns. Don't expect any of them to have *value meals* (stuff for $1). I don't eat much fast food, but we just went through Orlando Airport and DIA and ate at both. Expect to pay about $6-7 for a meal (if you call a burger/fries/drink a meal). That would generally cost you around $4-5 anywhere else.

2. There is diving off the Gulf coast, and DiveOps along the shores near Tampa, like in St. Petersburg. I have never dove the Gulf coast. I was thinking of doing one dive on my last trip, but the Red Tide is kinda ruining things. Most agree however that the best diving in FL is going to be in the Keys, and the Reefs off of the lower east coast like Jupiter/WPB.

3. Have ZERO clue on airfare. I'd get on Expedia, or Travelocity, or any number of the other online services and check for youself.

4. In America, we are a driving culture. There is no train service in Tampa that takes you around town. If you can not lease a car/buy a car/rent a car you are going to be somewhat limited. Busfare is generally reasonable to get around town, however traveling around larger Cities on a Bus can be anywhere from OK, to downright frustrating depending on their schedules and where you want to go. In Denver busFare ranges from $1.00 to $3.75 depending on if you are using a Local, LightRail, Express, or Regional.

5. I love the entire FL coastline. A great place to go shelling is Treasure Island. I really lake the whole John's Pass/Clearwater/St. Pete's Beach area. Ft. Desoto is a really nice park. That area is about 30 minutes from Tampa.

As for Fun things to do, depends upon who you are and what you like. Fishing, boating, sailing, shelling, bird watching, bug watching, Canoeing, Camping, Wrestling Alligators, you name it, it's in FL with the exception of Mountain activities as they are rather lacking in that area. There is also the Orlando area with has a ton of tourist stuff like Disney World (you can dive a manmade reef at Epcot), Seaworld (you can dive there with dolphins), Universal Studios, and all sorts of fun stuff. IMO don't miss a trip to the EverGlades while you are there. It's a VERY unique place even if it's full of BUGS!! The EverGlades is on the Way to the FL. Keys (or you can go that route) where IMO if you don't go down and dive there you are really missing a good opportunity. You can do Key Largo area over a three day weekend from Tampa. I'm guessing it's about a 4-5 hour drive.

If you don't have a drivers license, get one if possible. If you can rent a car, you have a LOT more freedom. You could rent a car in Tampa for around $20 a day, add maybe $10 more per day if you need insurance. IMO it's well worth the $100 it may cost you for a three day rental to go and hit the East coast for some diving, or go do the EverGlades or even Orlando which you could easily do over a weekend as it's only a couple of hours from Tampa.

Thanks for you guys replies!

I would be Florida for 3 months from Nov 20 till Feb 20. And I would most likely be working at one of those food chains (Burger King high possibility) at TIA.

As for diving trips, I am looking forward to it. May I know how's the water temperature like over there? I would be owning a 5mm full body wet suit by then, have my own mask and fins. Is it a must to have the snorkel with you while diving in FL?

But for having fun which includes diving while in FL, I need to check whether I can schedule the time to have fun in between shifts. Havn't been called up for the briefing/orientation yet. I just got the job on Saturday.

Oh yes, I would like to know, how is the power supply like in FL? I mean, the power point plug, and the current. I wonder whether my electronics from Malaysia will work over there. On the other hand, what's the more common internet connection over there? ADSL? Cable modem?

Thanks ya all! Need to gather as much information as I can so that I don't feel lost there.

JaX NeMo:
Thanks for you guys replies!

I would be Florida for 3 months from Nov 20 till Feb 20. And I would most likely be working at one of those food chains (Burger King high possibility) at TIA.

As for diving trips, I am looking forward to it. May I know how's the water temperature like over there? I would be owning a 5mm full body wet suit by then, have my own mask and fins. Is it a must to have the snorkel with you while diving in FL?

But for having fun which includes diving while in FL, I need to check whether I can schedule the time to have fun in between shifts. Havn't been called up for the briefing/orientation yet. I just got the job on Saturday.

Oh yes, I would like to know, how is the power supply like in FL? I mean, the power point plug, and the current. I wonder whether my electronics from Malaysia will work over there. On the other hand, what's the more common internet connection over there? ADSL? Cable modem?

Thanks ya all! Need to gather as much information as I can so that I don't feel lost there.

The gulf would be mid 50's to low to mid 60'sf depending on the weather, the springs stay 68-72f year round and I'm not sure about the east coast. I think it stays pretty warm there too. Of course the keys are nice and warm.

You don't have to have a snorkel.

You would need to get an adapter for your power cords. Malaysia uses a type G and here in the states we use types A and B. You will be coming from a 240v/50Hz to 120v/60Hz.

Your internet connection will depend on where you are staying. We have all kinds, DSL Cable, phone modem. Depends on how fast you want to be and how much you want to spend. I don't know how cold you get but you might want to get a 3mm vest to wear under the suit.

If you work a BK in the main terminal can you get me a discount? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom