going to Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marinetech

Reaction score
Hello:
We are planning to go to Playa Del Coco in November. Since we have never been there, we would love to get some information.
We are looking into a few dive packages, including accomodation, offered by local dive operators. We are wondering if anybody has any experience with any of these types of oepration? I have read some of the messages on the board, and would like to know how good, in general, is the diving in that area? What's the water temperature? Current condition?
Also if bus for transportation is a good choice, such as from San Jose to Playa del Coco? Or should we try to drive ourselves?
Thanks a bunch

marinetech :confused:

Marinetech,

I just returned from Costa Rica and will post a trip report in this forum shortly. Look for it soon. What I can offer to some of your questions follow.

We booked an all-inclusive package for air fare and hotel (Allegro Resort Papagayo) through Adventure Tours and were happy with the deal overall. Diving at our hotel was offered at a much increased price over other available dive operations. They all dive the same dive sites in the Papagayo Bay region. So the decision was made on what we wanted.

Do some homework and coorsepondence with the dive operations in the area to see which can offer you the things that are on your priority list to accomplish. For us, we wanted a smaller group and more intimate experience and chose the Dive Shop that said they could meet this need. We searched the internet and reviewed the PADI site for our options.

Accomodations in Playas Del Coco were much more rough and tended to be of older age but, also much, much cheaper by far. The dive operation we used, Deep Blue Diving Adventures is located at the intrance to the Best Western Coco Verde hotel. We did not see any other "name brand hotels" in Coco while we walked around after our dives.

If you have a choice try to fly into Liberia rather than San Jose if you intend to stay in the Guanacaste region. The airport is only about 1 hour away from Playas Del Coco and the road between them is generaly good.

A rent car would be a good choice or a Taxi could be had for a few dollars more. We used Alamo Rent a Car and got a shoe box for $42US a day. San Jose is a long days drive over questionable roads from Cocos. And since we did not venture into this region or on the roads I can't give any feedback.

Otherwise we had a great time and soaked up as much sun as we could and soaked down just as many suds.

SeaHunt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom