Going To Cancun Next Month - I'm New To Diving Can Any Give Me Some Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,

Me (21 yrs) and my girlfriend (20 yrs) are flying to Mexico, Cancun next month. We are due to depart on 21st August and are staying for 14 nights, we are staying at The Gran Bahia Principe Tulum.

We were in Cuba last year and and had a fantastic time, we both love the sea and want to get into diving. As it stands at the moment we are not PADI certified, we both wanted to get this done before we flew out to Mexico next month, but with work being so busy at the moment it has not been possible.

My question is what can you do in regards to diving in Mexico without being certified?
I have read on a post here that you can do a training session in a pool then go out and dive at maximum 30ft. If this is true then it will be a good taster course for me and my girlfirend to try out diving. Does anybody know were we can do this close to Tulum/Coba? And also how much it will cost?

I look forward to your replies,

Thanks Tom

Hi Tom,

You can take a resort course, which does allow you to try before the big leap. This is how I got started and have been diving ever since. Course prices vary but @ $80 to $100 is normal.

I'm sure others can recommend an op for Tulum. If you were in Cancun, that would be a no-brainer. You may want to drop a line to benrmooney@yahoo.co.uk. He owns an op in Cancun and could give you some better ideas.

Good weather and dive safe!

Jack

Here's my advice- Don't Dive unless you are certified. Resort course is an invitation for problems and Dangerous!

Just my two cents, do it right, live to not regret it......

Here's my advice- Don't Dive unless you are certified. Resort course is an invitation for problems and Dangerous!

Just my two cents, do it right, live to not regret it......

I see two things wrong with your post.. don't dive unless you are certified, well, while in the process of getting certified, one dives... also, resort courses are not dangerous. diving with unsafe people is dangerous, but if the instructor providing the course is good, and the student is willing to listen and learn, then there is no reason why it should be dangerous. The first time I dove was with a resort course (or DSD if it's a PADI shop:dork2:), and I've been doing it since '93. Hell, I'm even an instructor now.. DSD's are a great way for people to figure out if diving is for them, and a great way of introducing people to diving.

my $0.02

Thank you for the replies so far people.

Please keep them coming!

I think we will give it a go through the resort, I am just really keen to give diving ago.

What are the top cave dive shops in Tulum?

. don't dive unless you are certified, well, while in the process of getting certified, one dives... also, resort courses are not dangerous. diving with unsafe people is dangerous, but if the instructor providing the course is good, and the student is willing to listen and learn, then there is no reason why it should be dangerous. DSD's are a great way for people to figure out if diving is for them, and a great way of introducing people to diving.

my $0.02

Thanks vrykolakas, nothing else to say.
Tom, definitely i recommend you to try the Discovery Scuba Diving, it is an experience that will show you an amazing world, and the you may think in your open water course.
Probably the easiest thing is do the DSD with the op of the resort, but you can find many dive operator in Tulum, Akumal, Puerto Aventuras or Playa del Carmen.
Cheers and enjoy it.

I would be hesitant to rely on a resort course as the only experience before going into the ocean. Even the easiest ocean dive is tougher than a pool dive. If you are diving off a boat, there is the boat and the bottom is not just "right there." If you are diving off the beach, there is surf and waves, even if tiny. There is more to think about in the ocean than a pool, not the least of which is salt...either in the eyes or mouth. I feel there is less chance of panic in a pool while you learn.

I'd like to see you find a way of starting lessons here, even if you do a referral for your ocean dives. That is not uncommon and gives you the best of both worlds. (I'm not sure whether you can do a referral for all ocean dives or just the last one or two.)

i am pretty sure that this resort - despite the misleading name - is not in Tulum and not even that close, maybe 20-25 minutes away. I believe it is around Xpu-Ha which is beween Puerto Aventuras and Akumal. Driving distance to Puerto Aventuras is 5 minutes so if you had a rental I'd go diving with Aquanauts in Puerto Aventuras. I believe they even offer resort courses although I'd seriously consider getting certified with them because they are such a great operation. if you do not have a car you probably wll have to go with whatever the resort has to offer. By the way, although I consider their name a sham, the resort is located on a gorgeous beach so chances are you'll have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom