going to cabo, san lucas july 19 to the 26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pammyk

Reaction score
Hi everyone...I just got my open water cert the end of june...then went to ft lauderdale (I did post a thread about my trip) and got my advanced. Even though I've only done 10 dives so far so I really don't feel like an advanced scuba diver yet...lolol. I did dive as deep as 72 ft which was a wreck dive and was awesome! I'm going to Cabo july 19 for a week and will be doing some diving there. Has anyone ever gone to cabo and gone diving there that can give me any information on dive sites and dive shops that are easy to work with? Any information would be great. I have gone online to check them out but it's difficult to tell which operations are the best ones without getting first hand experiences. I've heard that the only living coral reef is about 2 hours away by car but it's one that can't be beat. I don't know how long the boat ride is. Thanks is advance.

:dazzler1: I'm so excited about this trip I can almost taste it...lolololol!!!!!

Pam

Welcome to the board!

Joe

We said Howdy on another intro, didn't we...?

Diving Is Like Riding A Car You Need Some Mileage Before Being Customized

After The 50th Dive You Will Really See A Difference With Buoyancy, Air Consumtion…

Benvenuto A Bordo!!

pammyk:
Cabo july 19 for a week... Any information would be great...only living coral reef is about 2 hours away...
Pam

Pam, it's Cabo Pulmo on the East Cape that is adjacent to N. America's only living coral reef. Of the three dive shops listed for Cabo Pulmo, I'm dealing with Pepe's with good results. Check out Pepe Murrietta's biweekly dive reports. For dive sites, below are three fairly comprehensive links of descriptions, by area. You've probably seen these dive sites listed separately elsewhere in your online research, but I consolidated the Cabo and Corridor dive sites into online lists of their own to make it easier. I'm looking forward to your own trip reports!

Cabo San Lucas dives

Cabo Pulmo dive sites

Corridor-area dive sites (between CSL and Cabo San Juan)

Cabo Pulmo is a couple of hours by car (done it). Last 6-10 miles are a bit bone-jarring (at least, to my middle-aged bones). Don't even think about it by boat.

In Cabo itself, many many outfitters, who can keep you happy for several days. Perhaps not coral reefs per se, but gorgonians, mushrooms, and of course, fish up the wazoo. I personally had a good experience with Baja Dive, but I'm sure all the other outfitters are equally good.

Hy

hdtran:
Cabo Pulmo is a couple of hours by car... Last 6-10 miles are a bit bone-jarring (at least, to my middle-aged bones).

Hy, is a jeep required to drive oneself, or could I put up with the bone-jarring in one of those little, cheap Chevrolet Pop or Sun vehicles? The overnight roundtrip to Cabo Pulmo would be my only trip outside the Corridor. Those little skateboards are only $100/week, while the Jeep Wrangler is $286/week, and I'm sure that's with mirroring insurance rates. OTOH, I don't want to be hitchhiking with a BC and gear...

TIA,
Wayne

WaterWayne:
Hy, is a jeep required to drive oneself, or could I put up with the bone-jarring in one of those little, cheap Chevrolet Pop or Sun vehicles? The overnight roundtrip to Cabo Pulmo would be my only trip outside the Corridor. Those little skateboards are only $100/week, while the Jeep Wrangler is $286/week, and I'm sure that's with mirroring insurance rates. OTOH, I don't want to be hitchhiking with a BC and gear...

TIA,
Wayne

Cabo Pulmo is THE place to go. It's about 35 miles North of the airport. Are you staying in Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo? I ask because the entire tip of Baja gets called Cabo San Lucas even though the two towns are 25-35 miles apart.

Check out Vista Sea Sport http://www.vistaseasport.com/ They are located on the East Cape OUTSIDE the Tourist trap of Cabo itself. FYI, the east cape is the area starting around Cabo Pulmo going North for about fifty miles. You might have to drive to them but you should save some $$$. The roads are not that bad unless theres been a hurricane in which case it will take a year for them to fix the roads LOL. The Pop is big enough for TWO people only. I fish the East Cape every year and its a great area. Plan to dive next year. (My fishing buddy is in OW class now) I personally like it MUCH better than Cabo San Lucas. It is very relaxing. If you want to check out the hotels on the East Cape for next time go here. www.bajaresorts.com

Wayne, what does TIA mean?? I only ask because it's my sisters name.

I almost live in Cabo, I dive there so much.

The diving is good, not Coz for sure, but good. Fish and Invertabates everywhere.

I have dove with Baja Dive several times and they are good.

Under dimensions is also a large and good dive operation.

I would stay away from Seals dive, as they rent gear from other shops and "borrow " boats as well.

outlawaggie:
...Are you staying in Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo?....

I'm time-sharing in CSL at the Fiesta Americana Sep. 4-11, but I'll be overnighting for $35 at Pepe's Dive Center in Cabo Pulmo for at least the night of Sep. 6. That's gonna be a contrast between utter luxury and a dive camp...

outlawaggie:
Check out Vista Sea Sport http://www.vistaseasport.com/ ...you should save some $$$.

Yep, I posted their link in another thread; however since their two-tank dive prices start at $100, without lunch, it seems somewhat expensive to me. However, I appreciate that they took the time and trouble to post descriptions of their dive sites, organized north to south.

outlawaggie:
The Pop is big enough for TWO people only.

But is the Pop OK to drive from CSL to Cabo Pulmo and back? How rugged is that last 6-10 miles?

outlawaggie:
If you want to check out the hotels on the East Cape for next time go here. www.bajaresorts.com

Thanks for that link, Aggie! From the sounds of things, I'll definitely be going back to the Sea of Cortez. Another poster on this board opined that La Paz is the best diving in Mexico, and although I can't make it there on this trip, I'll have it in mind for the next time.

outlawaggie:
Wayne, what does TIA mean?? I only ask because it's my sisters name.

TIA=Thanks In Advance, also means "aunt" in Spanish.

For Aggies: "TGIF" on your booties mean "Toes Go In First"... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom