Going to buy 7mm suit which one is the best

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

river_roach

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am going to buy a 7mm wuit and was hoping to get some input on which one is the best. I spearfish as well recreational dive. I am interested in flexibility, comfort and of course warmth.

I am going to buy a 7mm wuit and was hoping to get some input on which one is the best. I spearfish as well recreational dive. I am interested in flexibility, comfort and of course warmth.

Pinnacle Elastoprene is a good suit. However company seems to be having sizing issues so be certain that you buy from a place that will allow you to return it if fit is not proper. My 3 and 7 mil suits fit as advertised but am currently having difficulty getting a proper fit on a 5 mil. Maybe problem is with 5 only.

Been diving in my Hendersen 7mm Titanium Hyperstretch wetsuit for about a year, very easy to get in and out of. I've dived in 44 degree water in our local quarry and was warm for about 30 minutes before I got cold.

Fit is key, so make sure you try different brands before purchasing.

My recommendation is NOT to buy a Henderson Neosport. Worst wetsuit I've ever owned (over nearly 50 years of diving). I've had great luck with Tilos and custom wetsuits.

.....although I've never owned a Henderson Hyperstretch suit (do own some of their hoods/booties though) it has been my observation, both from fellow divers/buddies who own them, as well as numerous posts from other divers here on SB, that there is a price to pay for those 'stretchy' materials....namely that they don't hold up very well over time...also, the little air bubbles/cells within the neoprene are easily crushed with repeated dives and fairly rapidly lose their insulating capacity....so it will work well initially, but don't expect a long/effective lifespan...however, for some people ease-of-donning is more important than $ and they can afford to replace it more frequently than a non-super-stretchy wetsuit.....

My buddies strech Henderson (5 years old maybe) 7mm is holding up well, but fraying, and in no better shape than suits costing half as much (he paid maybe $350).

Bare makes good suits. I've been happy with my Tilos 3mm as well. Most manufactures produce quality products.

Suits are about fit first, and quality/durability second. A poor fitting high end suit is not going to keep a diver warm. A good fitting less expensive suit is a better choice over more expensive suit that does not fit snug.

If you plan on making a purchase a the LDS, than try them on, and find one that fits. If you plan on buying online, then LP, ScubaToys, and others have a fit guarantee.

I did pick up a Henderson 7mm suit from ScubaToys at a closeout price for $150. It's a backup for my Drysuit. It fits, and the price was right. I can't remember what *name* they gave the material.. super duper strech, insta-ultra dry, bunny ears, or something to that effect.

I liked my buddies approach when buying boots for his growing kids feet. He came home with four sets of boots in two sizes, and let the kid decide. He took the others back for a full refund.

The best one is the one that fits you the best and is the your price range.
I cannot wear Pinnacle they simply don't fit me and very difficult for me to get into.
AquaLung Aqua Flex fits me really well but I can't use their size chart as a reference. I must try it on.
Hendersen Titanium Hyperstretch fits me pretty well.
Body Glove X3 fits me.
As Bill mentioned Tilos are a good suit. I haven't used one or tried on one in a few years though.

Easy question to answer. The very best 7mm suit is the one that fits you the best.

The very hard part is finding one that fits so tight that almost no water flows inside when moving, but not so tight that it restricts movement (too much, that is). Also, beware that those comfortable "hyper/super/maxi" stetchy suits won't keep you very warm, as the stetch feature means that they compress easily at depth and don't last as long as old-school neoprene. Also, where ever they stretch, they get thinner.

Bottom line is that unless you find an off-the-rack suit that fits just right, you'll be warmer in a custom suit. They don't necessarily have to be much more expensive than stock. I'm very pleased with my Aqua-Flite. Custom Wetsuits, Scuba Diving Skins, Parkas from AquaFlite.

Back
Top Bottom