Going to Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you know what area you will be visiting? The dive sites accessible to you depend greatly on where you are.

I run a dive resort in southern Belize that dives all of the atolls and much of the southern reef. We have several dives around Tobacco Caye that are in the 60 foot range as well as skimming the top edges of the walls of South water Caye and Glover's at 60 to 70 feet. The elbow at Turneffe goes up and down but can be seen really nicely in the 70 to 80 foot range. The Blue Hole out at Lighthouse Reef we do a dive there that takes you down to 120 feet but we don't have nitrox and don't go farther than that. The Aquarium which is near the Blue Hole is the best dive in Belize for many and it runs 60 to 75 feet along a wall edge as well. You have to slap all the fish off of you on that site. Keep in touch with me if you want more info and check out the website for Thatch Caye Resort if you want. I am currently the manager and will definitely be here in December if you come down.

I've been to Belize twice. Stayed in Ambergris and Caye Caulker. I LOVE Caye Caulker. Much better vibe and food compared to San Pedro. Less touristy, less crowded, much more chill. A little father from the good dive sites, but not far enough to really matter. The reef off of San Pedro is spectacular, average depths from 60-90 feet with plenty of different options. You owe yourself one dive at Hol Chan. Very shallow (30-40fsw) but it is great. For deep stuff, you have the obligatory Blue Hole dive. The dive itself is cool, but not the best. It is moderately deep (just shy of 150) and you see a cool cavern, but the dives at lighthouse atoll, specifically "the aquarium" are the real treats of that trip. You really can't go wrong in Belize. Some great inland sights to see as well if you have the time. San Ignacio is like Monteverde in Costa Rica 20 years ago. A wealth of natural wonders and not too many touristas around. ATM cave is probably the coolest dry cave experience I have ever had.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom