Going pro in the Caribbean...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, much of my laboratory equipment has been sold...I have officially stepped past the point of no return. This is becoming a reality! No room for me at my friends shop in Islamorada unfortunately, though they are quite small and didn't seem to be setup in a way that is conducive to teaching what I want to learn. So I am back to looking for internships to attend. Currently I am interested in the rainbow reef dive center in Key Largo. Any thoughts on this place?

Also, the number of recommendations of going to Thailand have been overwhelming, so even though I was at first hesitant about moving that far from home, it is back in the mix. Not to mention going out of my comfort zone and finding some adventure is what this whole thing is about anyway. So with that said, any internships you all could point me towards on that side of the world? Any info is helpful!

Thanks again for all the info!

deepdestroyer,

Heading to Largo next month for a few days. PM me and I'll gladly meet with you when I'm in the area and give you what I have, information wise, on Thailand to help your decision. I don't have a lot of info on the diving (though I do have some snorkeling pics) but can tell you about the non-diving side of things.

If I were young and wanted to pursue this option, I would make myself totally indispensible, MSDT, boat captain, diesel mechanic, multilingual speaker. Rather than spendiing 4 years in college, 4 years in medical school, and 5 years in residency and fellowship training, I would have pursued this path. I'm not sorry that I pursued the path I did but fully understand the competetive environment in scuba activities. I've now come full circle and am scheming on dive guiding/divemaster in the area of the world where I have special expertise. Fortunately, my goals are entirely different than they would have been earlier in my career. Now it's just free diving and sharing my passion with others. Perhaps this is more realistic than making a good living...

Look at Roatan also. Among others Coconut Tree Divers/Go Pro Caribbean has a pretty complete PADI program. PADI Divemaster and Instructor internship Roatan Bay Islands Honduras

If you take pro certification courses with them, they have a 13BR Pro house that you can share for $350-500/mo. Pool, fenced, security and is about 3 years old. Coconut Tree Divers, PADI CDC - Accommodations I believe they're one of the highest rated training facility on Roatan. Should you have problems, the chamber at Anthony's Key is 5mins. away - Recompression Chamber and Clinic - Anthony's Key Resort

Some friends went there for DM and stayed thru Instructor. They didn't try to find work on Roatan as they then traveled the world for a year.

The West End is where all the nightlife and most of the restaurants are on Roatan. Everything is in walking distance except the larger markets which are a $15-20 cab ride. We spent a week there and took cabs as needed, some rides were as cheap as $5-10. Once they know you're not cruise tourists, prices go down considerably. Food can be really cheap - street vendors - up to several nicer restaurants.

We dove a week with CTD, although we didn't take any classes, I did observe parts of several since they take place outside on their deck when it's nice. And DM training was done many afternoons on our boat dives - they shadowed us for experience. Will, their CD is someone I'd take classes from if I were PADI. Good people run CTD also, P.J. and Gay are the kind of people you'd still be friends with years later if you returned.

Just a little update. I did indeed take an internship in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico with Dressel divers. We do get worked, and are expected to sell. I have been here a month now and am slowly getting the hang of things. All in all though, I am having the time of my life. Meeting amazing new people every day and making life long friends in the process. Plus I get to dive constantly! If you don't have six months, or are scared of a little hard work pay for your divemaster. Otherwise, I recommend it to anyone who is interested.

More updates next month.
John

Hi deepdestroyer,
I just sent you a PM, but then realised that perhaps other people might also benefit from your answer to my questions, so I will repeat them here.

I see you are in
Playa del Carmen doing an internship. I was wondering... do you have to pay to do it? Or do you pay for it by working for them during six months. I would not mind that at all if I get to dive every day. Do they provide accommodation and food?
Thanks!
Cristian

Hey john. I'm thinking of doing a dressel internship in either playa del Carmen or Cozumel. Could you tell me more about it? I've heard about the work, I'm more interested in the social and living aspects (ie what is the food, living, and social or down time like).

I am am already advanced and I am just looking to getting rescue and DM certified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom