Going on Nekton Pilot NW Bahamas wk of 6/29

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefseal

Contributor
Reaction score
First time on a live aboard. Interested in any advice from those that have recently done this trip. Only 22 people signed up so far. (32 boat capacity) so it won't be too crowded. I was able to get last Nitrox slot. (max 10)

The posts others have posted on Nekton has been very helpful.

What made you pick this particular week? I'm thinking about going in mid-July and haven't figure out which agenda/week to chose.

Sorry, I know you posted looking for advice and here I am asking questions...hope you don't mind.

Jeff

Hi reefseal,
...can you clarify your observation that you got the last Nitrox slot? ...You mean they actually have a limit on the number of divers per trip that have access to Nitrox? I had no idea they limited that...could be why they've not yet sold out all 32 seats......Nitrox is the only way to go whee you're doing 5 dives per day for a whole week.

Karl

Having said that. I may actually be able to give you some advice, having just done my first liveaboard in early April.

Mistake one, I brought way to much stuff!! - whatever you are bringing, drop it by half...I found I really only needed two or three pair of shorts, about the same in t-shirts....shoes? not really...just some flip flops. Clothes are not necessary, you will be in a swimsuit for the vast majority of the trip.

The crew (at least on the T&C Explorer) love new books, music (I swapped about 5 GIG of music w/the crew), movies and any updates on reality TV shows (couldn't understand it, but they were jonesing for updates on Survivor, American Idol, etc). Bring something along they will enjoy.

Be nice to the crew. They will wait on you hand and foot and have a smile througout (despite being on the boat six days a week for the last 7 months). I was amazed at what great attitudes they had and always kept that in mind on the few occassions that I had to ask for something that should have been set already (example, tank a few hundred pounds light, etc).

Relax and enjoy...I had a blast!!! Which explains why I am now asking you about your planned Nekton trip. Liveaboards are the way to go!!!

If I think of anything else I'll let you know. There are many others on this board who have done tons of these and will be able to give you better info.

Jeff

On this boat, they have to limit no. of divers diving Nitrox Think about it, if all divers were requesting nitrox, would be bottleneck with blender.. and would put divers in situations would have to wait for your next tank. Especially if expecting to just grab another tank and go in again with short surface interval.

scubafanatic:
Hi reefseal,
...can you clarify your observation that you got the last Nitrox slot? ...You mean they actually have a limit on the number of divers per trip that have access to Nitrox? I had no idea they limited that...could be why they've not yet sold out all 32 seats......Nitrox is the only way to go whee you're doing 5 dives per day for a whole week.

Karl

Been on two Nekton trips and loved both. My wife snorkels and they took good care of her. Our first trip was full and the second had 12 people. Diving off the back of the Nekton means you don't have to schedule around chase boats. I found a buddy and never had to dive with a pack or wait long to get into the water. Food was great and so was the crew. Bring your own booze. I prefer to tag along behind photographers and see stuff I would normally swim past.

You will love the trip. Ignore the article just printed in Undercurrent. Some people are never happy.

Previous writer was correct in bringing too much stuff.

reefseal:
I'm assuming you're referring to undercurrent.org? Do you have the issue of article? or URL

Thanks!!!!!

I don't think he is referring to the online version. The article was in one of the last couple of issues I got in the mail. The Mona Island trip was reviewed and the reviewer wasn't at all impressed with either the ship or the destination.

I guess you will be able to form your own opinions. I hope you will take a moment to write them up. I for one would really appreciate reading what you thought of the trip.

Back
Top Bottom