Going on a cruise!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robinhood

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going on a cruise to the Western Carib (Cayman, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Belize) in Dec and certainly wanted to get some dives in. I don't want to do the ship version of scuba diving trips because they tend to cater to the beginner diver and cost way too much. I'm thinking of setting up my own trips. Does anyone know of some good dive operations in Cozumel and Grand Cayman that can work with me on this? Also, I was hoping to do a dive in Playa....I'm intro cave certified but wanted to take my wife on a cenote cavern dive. Any leads on a good operation there?

Thanks!

I leave for my cruise to Coz in 2 weeks. I am doing a cave in Coz, but my friends are doing some ocean ow dives in Coz using Aldora divers. I think there is some info on them here on the board if you do a serach.

Thanks, Wendy. I saw some of your other posts about going to Mexico...I didn't think to ask your thoughts on dive operators. You post a lot on cavediver.net as well don't you??

I post over there about once in a blue moon, I don't like the strictness and all the rules to post over there.

I am using Roly of divecozumel.net for my cenote dive. I haven't used him before, but I have heard good things. My friends are taking the ferry from Coz to Akulmal and over there.

Used Adlora for the cruise ship stop on Cozumel. Very receptive. Very professional. I was very happy.

I just got back from our cruise! It was terrific. I actually didn't dive in Belize... Instead I took the ships excursion to shark ray alley. Got to pet the sharks there. It was great. It is like an aquarium. There were a TON of fish! Sharks, rays, etc... We went to lunch on land after the excursion. It was ok. Then we walked around, bought souveniers, and home made Belizian ice cream which was awesome. I had many recommendations to take the ships excursion in Belize and I am glad I did...
Bring bug spray - sunscreen - mayeb a rashguard or dive skin - the sun is brutal.
As for Cozumel.. We used Dive Paradise... They are ranked #1 in Cozumel. Our giude was Nacho Costeau - I would request him...He dove with us. He makes 900 dives per year and really was excellent. We did 2 dives with him.... A day time one through Palancar Caves and a night dive. They call this the Twilight special I think. Reasonably priced. They operate just down the street from the port at Puerto Langosta. They run a terrific operation. Don't be fooled by their crappy looking office. It is first class. You should absolutely without a doubt hire them. They will keep you safe and keep a close eye on you in the current. They will show you lots of cool things too. It was a BLAST!I linede this one up all over e-mail contact with Apple.
In Grand Caymen we hired Ebanks Divers - a guy named James.. Met him at the public beach. He was a really nice guy. Did 2 dives. One was on his brothers boat - about a 30+ ft long pontoon boat. Very nice - all set up. 3 crew members on board.... to take care of US - 4 divers! Yeah baby. We dove the aquarium just off of 7 mile beach - it was terrific. Had a divemaster in the water with us - James... He pointed out a lot of things that we would have overlooked. IT was great. Then we walked across the beach, jumped in James truck and headed for another boat about 5 minutes away..... We went with him to sting ray city - a 12 foot dive which was the highlight of the trip for me. It was just us again and James dove with us. He cut up squid and we used that to feed the large numbers of rays that were ready to greet us.... A big green moray eel - known as Psycho - greeted us as soon as our fins hit the water. He was very friendly. I wouldn't trust him though as his teeth were BIG and shiney! He would basically climb all over you! I did watch him grab a container of squid from another dive master and shake it around like a rag doll until all the contents were spilled. He is plenty agressive. Push him away if he gets too close. He will likely get the picture. Our divemaster was not too happy that he was swimming freely all over the place and hot holed up somewhere. We, however got some awesome eel pictures.... I mean really great! Watch out for the plain looking Snapper - two of us were bitten and bleeding from the nice little fishey who was trying to get a snack of squid from the unsuspecting hand.
The pictures we took are incredible. We stayed down with the rays for about 65 minutes. I would highly recommend Ebanks if you want personalized attention - it was pretty reasonable too.
www.ebanksdivers.com
Line your excursions up ahead of time. Get e-mail address contacts for each place that you will dive with. Sometimes the local time doesn't match the boat time. We had a little trouble with this but were able to e-mail from the ship to correct the times. It was confusing. You need to know what time your ship is operating on at each port vs. the time on land at your ports.
I am willing to help you more if you are interested.... you can e-mail me at boren@starnetdial.net directly if you want to. We paid after the dives in all cases except Dive Paradise....
James takes CASH, Dive Paradise takes credit cards, cash, travelers checks....
You are going to have a GREAT time! I wish I was going with you!
P.S. are you bringing your gear? You are going to want your gear bag to have wheels on it without a doubt.
If I have't made it clear... Do not use the ships excursions as you will pay more - be on a cattle boat and will be a lot less happy.
There were a lot of people that complained about the ships excursions in a couple locations.
In Grand Cayman - the Mission restaraunt has a nice lobster dinner... and you can walk there.
Lucky

Having been to both Grand Cayman & Coz many, many times over the years, including recently, I am wondering about your recommendation of the lobster dinner at the Mission restaurant.

I have enjoyed lobster at La Mission in Coz on several occasions, but have yet to see/hear of a Mission eatery on Grand Cayman.
Can you tell me how to find it?

Thanks,

DocVikingo

You are absolutely correct.... It is in Cozumel, not Grand Cayman... So sorry. Yes, I think that it is just too expensive to eat in Grand Cayman. You will have to sneak food from the buffet to take with you on your dive trip there.... ha ha . Then feast again once you are back on the ship! What cruise line are you traveling on?
We went Carnival. Actually the lobster on the cruise ship was the best I have ever had anywhere. So good, I had to eat 2 of them!
Lucky

I'm going on the Carnival Cruise Line...sounds like the same itinerary as you. I'll send you en e-mail to get some more specifics.

Thanks for the responses!

Back
Top Bottom