Going on a 4 month scuba trip what else do I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orenbvip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
going backpacking/diving for 4 months to SE Asia will be doing my DMT too
So far i have it that all my gear fits in a carry on, traveling light and minimalist is of high importance

so far this is what I have bought:
mask
force fins w/comfort inserts
Sunnto Vyper
Zeagle Express tech bcd (metal d- rings and xs weight pouches, octo holder)
Apeks Flight reg with 1.5" nakes spg and all miflex hoses

So whatelse should I buy/bring with me?

thinking:
zip ties
emt shears
light (maybe? something cheap)
Compas (do i need one?)

exposure suit: I ushally dive in just a t-shirt but now I shave my head maybe a 1mm hood and .5mm top? or full .5mm ?

I've done 2.5 months backpacking/diving in SE Asia. If you're in the water a lot you're going to want a nice warm exposure suit. 5mm suit with a 1mm hood is nice. A 3/5mm hood/vest is a good addition to a 3mm or 5mm suit. Dive 3 & 4 get cold even in 28F water.

Also, a stack of extra O rings are helpful if you're heading to the backpacker shops. Usually rental lights are bulky/weak. I'd bring a couple of night diving lights. Certainly a compass.

Go with light with clothes, you can always pick up more. Leave hiking boots/tennies at home & just bring one set of sports sandals which saves on weight.

Have fun!!!

I don't think you'll get the shears past security. IJS.....but they're only, what, $4.00? Easy to buy in any destination drugstore or hospital.

well i'll have my carry on bag and a duffel, plan to check my duffel with clothers and everything that i can afford to lose, prob throw my wetsuit and shears in there.

.....Money :D

Seriously, if you're taking a DM course, better have a backup regulator setup and mask. Of course a well stocked save-a-dive kit and tools too.

I think it would behoove you to search around here at Scuba Board to find someone who has taken the course you want to take. It's usually best to find out from the "been there, done that-here is what I would do differently" crowd as well as getting detailed instructions on the folks giving the course.

c

Definately pack lots of money. It would be handy to have backup regs but the problems I have had moving around and working is baggage limits - check out the abundance of threads. If you get inter country flights in asia then you are often bound to 25kg weight restriction with financial penalties for more. by the time you have your crew pack and equipment you are gonna be struggling to have space for clothes etc so anything else you aquire i strongly recommend you look for lightweight but strong and another tip if getting new equipment and travelling with it, get something that is easily repaired in foreign countries - I left the UK for Central America a couple of years ago with a set of poseidon regs, I think I had the only set in latin America which made inevitable issues from prolonged usage difficult to resolve due to lack of parts and expertise, something generic like scubapro would have been much easier.

I would definately recomend an SMB - safety sausage, it will halp your customers take you seriously before you start talking about the very real safety aspects around having one. If you do take tools, do not weigh yourself down with things that are everywhere and easy to borrow like wrenches etc, you could also think about easily aquired spare parts in your country like straps for fins and mask and things like pressure seats and rings for your regs, very cheap and lightweight but totally invaluable if you need them and do not want to lose a days work due to all rental equipment being out.

Cameras are good, many DMT's can try to earn an extra buck with a decent video camera, a laptop with CD burner and some sales skills - the feasability of this depends i guess on your current video knowledge but something worth noting for the future is you'll probably earn more in the right place videoing divers than guiding them, less hassle too.

You definately need a compass, your viper will serve you well and cable ties can often be a god send, especially if someone needs to take the adjustable orrifice out of the barrel of your apeks 2nd stage without damaging the crown.

A torch definately helps, its a good un for getting tips from happy customers as is a camera.

If you are aquiring more equipment then start thinking like a DM, how easy/quick is it to get on/off, durability, not getting in the way of assisting someone i.e. id it dangling off you like a christmas tree decoration or can it tuck neatly in somewhere?

In terms of the equipment you reallylook after it as much as possible, wash it out even if you are dving the next day, I can not stress enough that equipment breaking will do your head in.

If you are skipping countries by plane then air asia are the cheapest that I found they are based in KL malasia.

Also like Couv says, research the people you are investing in, DMT programmes can be the best or the worst and getting an indight ahead of time should not be difficult

Beyond that, have fun!!! oh yeah pack condoms and maybe a little first aid kit

Where are you planning to take the DMT course? If you'll be in Thailand, most of the main destinations (Phuket, Koh Tao) have very comprehensive scuba supply shops that will sell at discount/trade price to DMTs. They prices are usually cheaper there, even without the discount.

The same is true for clothes etc. In Thailand, there was a huge selection of cool diving t-shirts, shorts, jeans, hoodies etc.... all for laughably cheap prices. The funky scuba-themed clothing shops on Koh Tao are some of my favorite shopping in the world...

Don't take spare regs!?! That's a waste of weight and money. Depending on your location, compass, zip ties etc etc are all easily available. You should factor on a 15kg max weight limit when taking regional/national flights around Asian. Leave some space for stuff that you will collect along the way.

If you are going somewhere remote, and aren't sure of your ability to buy stuff once en-situ, then here is a good list for the DMT course and general self-sufficiency as a diver:

a) DSMB. I recommend oral inflate, small capacity (i.e. Halcyon 3.3ft closed circuit)
b) Finger Reel. 1x30m & 1x 15m reels.
c) LED torch. Decent quality, such as LED Lenser, FAMi or
d) Wet Notes (underwater notepad)
e) Wrist slate.
f) Small - Medium size flat slate (A3 size)
g) Suunto dive compass
h) Storm whistle
i) Digital camera & underwater housing (can rent to customers...but also for your own fun!)
j) Mini laptop/notebook with high capacity (500g) external hard-drive.
k) Several USB memory sticks.
l) Leatherman tool. These are always useful.

..and wetsuit! Depending on where..and when... you are going in Asia, the requirement can be very variable. Also, you will quickly acclimatise and the water will start to feel cold. It isn't the same as a 2 week holiday... you will start to get cold on dives, even in warm 'tropical' waters. In monsoon seasons, with wind and rain, you will be chilled all the time. Also, when diving day-in / day-out, as a DM(T) a wetsuit provides important protection for your skin.

I agree with KathyDee about this. You may have travelled and dived in Asia before... but unless you were diving constantly, for weeks/months, then you won't have appreciated how you will get cold. Trust me on that one :)

Vietnam & Cambodia - can be cold, (24-26 centigrade)..and a 5mm full suit is needed.
Thailand & Philippines - in monsoon seasons it can get very chilly....a 3mm fully suit is nice.
Malaysia, Borneo & Indonesia - a 3mm suit is nice, but you can get away with shorts and rashguard most of the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom