3-4 Month SE Asia Trip Where to go, What to Do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chaztheman45

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Me and my GF are currently planning a 3-4 month backpacking/diving trip from mid January-late May 2011. I've been combing through various guidebooks, and tho I rarely post here I am a frequent lurker and have gotten many good ideas from research I have done in these forums. Our plan is to fly into Manilla and spend 5-6 weeks in the Philippines, where we would like to hit Anilao, PG, Coron, Malapascua, and Cabilao (or anywhere else that is worthwhile). Then fly over to Malaysian Borneo and hit up Sipidan and spend a few weeks doing the Borneo thing. Next spend a few days in Singapore then onwards to Indonesia where we definitely want to spend a while in Bali. I still currently researching diving in Indo and so far the places that are sticking out include Lombok/Gillis, Komodo/Flores, Togean Islands, and Bunaken. I would really like to go to Raja Ampat but we are going to save that for another trip. Then possibly onward to Thailand to finish up the trip.

I've done lots of research on SB so I know that there is info out there but anything new would be a big help. Basically I'm looking for any info I can get as far as recommended spots or places to avoid, Pricing Info, Transfers, good Operators, Conditions this time of year, or anyone who has done similar trips in the past.

We are experienced divers and we will be bringing our own gear.
Any information will be greatly appreciated if you have any specifics you want to share with me directly feel free to drop me a PM.

Many Mahalos in Advance!

It sounds like a great trip! You have so many points in your post that it would be hard to reply to them all, so let me just kick off the discussion by suggesting that you plan your itinerary according to the best dive seasons. In other words, Thailand, for example, is not a good choice for ending your trip in May if you are hoping to dive in the top dive destination of the country--the Similan and Surin Islands national parks. These close May 1, and even in April things can get iffy. So IMO, Thailand should be nearer the beginning of your trip than the end. Similarly, some of the other destinations you list are considered better in the later months of your trip than in the earlier months. For example, Manado/Bunaken/Lembeh diving is best from April onwards.

There's a good thread currently on the PPD forum that deals with options for spending several weeks diving around the Philippines.

One more thing to consider - since you have a lot of time you could try to go to some of the more remote spots in Indonesia. Places that will be much harder to get to later on shorter trips. Consider Alor, Banda or Ambon. You could always go to Bali in the future - they have direct international flights, but when will you get another chance to hit the remote spots?

far the places that are sticking out include Lombok/Gillis, Komodo/Flores, Togean Islands, and Bunaken.
Talking about serious Indonesian diving :
- Forget about the Gilis and Togeans.
- North Sulawesi : the real highlight is Lembeh second to nowhere when it comes to freaky critters, I wouldn't consider Bunaken when you've got Komodo in your pocket.
- In Indo, the eastern you go the better : Topside I like Flores very much, very spectacular landscapes, hence you can take 5 days to cross the island from Labuan Bajo (where you start diving Komodo) to Maumere, another diving spot, then fly on to Kupang stopover for Alor, your next dive destination.
- Agree with above that spending some time in remote eastern Indo would be worth, hopping from Ambon to other places like Saparua, Bandaneira, Hai, etc. It takes time but it might be very rewarding.

When in Borneo/Sabah, you could also cross from Tawau to Indonesian Kalimantan and carry on to Derawan / Maratua / Sangalakki, which is also supposed to be excellent diving (mantas, jellyfish lake).

Thanks for the input so far!! I've been looking into the more remote places in eastern Indonesia recently..just curious how many operators there are in the remote places, is it easy to find shops/operators when you are that far off the beaten path?

In the Philippines, I think Balicasag Island near Bohol and Apo Island are better than Anilao and PG and a 3-4 day liveaboard to Apo Reef would be very good. If Coron, you may want to check out El Nido, which has some good diving too. It's been 12 years so maybe things have changed but I don't think the effort to get to Togian Islands is worth it. I wouldn't miss Bunaken Island/Manado. There's always Layang-layang (not sure of the spelling) but it could burn a hole in your wallet. Sangalaki Island on the Indonesian side of Borneo is great for manta rays but I've heard the only resort/dive shop has closed down there. Too bad if true. And though not considered SE Asia, from the Philippines its not too far from Palau and fairly easy to get to, which I think most would agree is some of the best diving anywhere.

I've been looking into the more remote places in eastern Indonesia recently..just curious how many operators there are in the remote places, is it easy to find shops/operators when you are that far off the beaten path?
Depends on what you call a dive operator :wink:... if you want 5 palms PADI resort you'd probably count them on the hands of the Venus de Milo. I would say if there is that kind of dive operator, it's not remote enough... Indonesia can be as remote as they come. :D

Now if you would consider diving the odd guy who can fill a tank and guide you on the neighboring reef, no one probably knows how many there are... I have seen such dive services in Nusa Tenggara or Southern Sulawesi, I bet there are even more in the remote eastern parts...

It would probably be better to focus on a specific place you want to go and ask your question also in travel related forums like lonelyplanet.com. I am quite certain there would diving opportunities almost anywhere, it just depends on whether you'd accept diving anywhere with anybody. :cool2:

For Malapascua, I'd recommmend Thresher Shark Divers - very well run operation. For Borneo, I usually dive with Scuba Junkie - but make sure you get Sipidan permits arranged in advance. And as for Indo - check out Pulau Weh on the northern tip of Sumatra - amazing diving, on a stunning remote island....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom