Going diving in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from the Keys on Jan 25th. Try Island Ventures @ Island Ventures Dive Charters Key Largo Florida Keys Scuba Diving in Key Largo. Tell Daryl a friend from a recent New England Dive Center diver recommended you to him. He took us to the Speigel Grove, the Benwood wrecks and reefs of Molasses and French Reef. These are beginner dives to Advanced dives for the Speigal. They will take you to what you request if you ask in advance. If a Dive Master/Guide is needed ask. If you are looking for lodging or dining places I could name a few for you very near by, just drop me a note. I got to go back again soon myself. Highly Recommend=Key Largo

schulace123,

You can do some great dives during your AOW. My son did Spiegel for his Deep Dive, North North Dry rocks for his boat dive, The Washington for his night dive, and Christ of Abyss for his Nav. Get your Nitrox up here in MN. (counts on your AOW if your PADI) There are a few classes going on over the next month. It is a popular class during the winter. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

BTW I am pretty sure it is a state law that you have to dive on the Christ of the Abyss statue at least once in your life if you dive the keys.

In the area around us in MN, we do Lake Wazee, Crosby mines, Lake Superior when I feel sadistic, and all the little lakes we can get to that the viz is over 2ft during the week.

Last edited:
I got certified in December. I dove down in Pompano Beach, FL in the ocean. It was a piece of cake. The first two OW training dives we did in a lake in Ft. Myers. It was almost a carbon copy of a lake here in MN. Cold and very limited visibility. The moment I jumped in the ocean and felt the warm water and saw how amazing the visibility was, it was heavan! But very, very big. You can look in almost any direction and see the water get darker and darker, and know that it goes for thousands of miles. You will love it, don't be too nervous, its 100 times better than our lakes here.

thanks for the advice

you should hit up Christmas lake sometime...it is spring feed and pretty amazing visibility when it is sunny out. I would always get side tracked when working on that lake...ending up looking at fish all day ha.

I think the State law has been modified to mandate a dive on the Christ of the Abyss at least once per visit

Im working to have it changed to the Spiegel Grove instead:)

to the O.Pmy recommendations are at a tie due to quality. Chris has an awesome service and so do Ocean Divers. If I had to choose which was better I would not be able too. The turn you make to goto Ocean divers has a HUGE scuba shop there or at least it did. Not sure since times change but it would be worth looking into for nastalgia (Cant spell sorry) and gear if needed :)

Well I thought I would bring this thread back up...I just got back from the keys, it was awesome. Dived out of Silent world dive shop, and they were great.

schulace123,

I am glad you had fun. What dives did you do? Did you do the required Christ of the Abyss dive?

I did my AOW with Silent World. Chris took good care of our group last time down. And believe me, we were a PITA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom