Going 2 Cozumel one week - Bring Apex XL RK3 finds that only fit with 5MM Boots or rent something there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TomsOn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey, going to Cozumel for 8 days of diving. Yeah I know, Awsuuum! My conundrum is that I am in Southern California and I dive cold water with 7MM WS and have Apex RK3 fins in XL to accommodate my 5mm Boots with sole. At first I was thinking that this is kind of clunky to bring to the warm water and thought I might just rent something lighter weight and use fin socks. But maybe it would be just fine. What would ya all do?

I have 2 sets of RK3s. XL for the drysuit. L for wetsuit booties. The RK3 are fine for warm water diving. I would not consider 5mm too thick for warm water.

Take what you have.

What would ya all do?
I have the reverse issue when I travel somewhere with cooler water. I wind up renting a 5mm/7mm suit as I only have a 3mm and a shorty. In Cabo a couple of weeks ago, in 70º F water, I wore my full foot fins/fin socks instead of using my boots/strap fins, but rented a 5mm wetsuit. In my pre-trip planning, if I had thought I was going to dive everyday, as opposed to having days of other activity in between, I probably would have taken and/or rented everything that would keep me the warmest.

IMO, your gear is too much for Cozumel. Leave the clunky, heavier stuff at home, at least the 7mm wetsuit. The water will be like bathwater compared to what you're used to (unless you are a person who gets cold easily.) That will give you room to pack something else. If you like your fins and your boots, no matter the thickness, take them. If you're looking for some easier traveling, you can rent fins (they will most likely be full foot) and a wetsuit. On the other hand, if you plan to do any shore diving, having your boots and fins may be best in case you have to walk through any rocky/rough bottom. If you dive with the same op, it's possible (depending on the op) you will be able to store your gear and/or rented gear so only you are using it while you're there.

I wasn't bringing the 7mm Wetsuit. Just wondering about the heavy boots so that I can use my RK3s. I have a 3 mm WS for Cozumel.

I have 2 sets of RK3s. XL for the drysuit. L for wetsuit booties. The RK3 are fine for warm water diving. I would not consider 5mm too thick for warm water.

Take what you have.

OK so the extra buoyancy from the 5mm boots with soles won't fight my wanting to dive with lowest weight needed? I dove 12 lbs in BVI with a buddies fins and loved the low weights in the warm water, as opposed to the 28 lbs that I use in the 56 degree pacific.

You won't notice the difference between 3mm and 5mm boots. There will be so much different coming out of California waters.

The boot buoyancy would be a minimal shift if you went with a 3mm boot. You will probably notice more of a difference with the wetsuit legs. I would stick with the fins and boots you have. Rental boots.... ick.....

I love my ScubaPro Go fins without boots at all in the tropics! And they are very light to pack.

At home I'm a cold water dry suit diver. So no hood, no gloves, no boots is part of the joy of tropical diving for me. Plus the water isn't the color in my profile photo :)

Back
Top Bottom