goin to the caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krf6363

Reaction score
i can hardly wait to go see some world class diving in the grand caymans. any suggestions on some good dive sites or any other helpful info would be greatly appreciated.

Winter annual trips has singled out Caymans as the favorite dive site destination for the family. However that means that everyone has a great time. From wife, kids (now w/spouses), friends, etc., all have a great vacation. Also the diving is great for snorkeling, novice level, and hard core divers. The accomodations generally are good, good dining, beaches, night life, etc.

There is better diving destinations for winter vacations, but we have found this has evolved more into my son and I getting away for these sites without the rest of family.

http://www.caymanislands.ky/h2go/homepage_pop.asp

Also run searches here and on the Rodale's D2D message board site since there is a lot of reports on this popular site.

I've dove all over the island. I still have to say that my top ten sites are all on East End.

This afternoon I guided a group of divers through Snapper Hole. Try to get a mental image of a mini-wall system so eroded that it is compared to a giant piece of Swiss cheese. It is a deeply scored canyonway system with dozens of swim throughs and one truly impressive cavern filled with silversides and patrolled by tarpon.

Other sites on my top ten would include Cinderella's Castle, Chubb Hole, Jack McKenney's Canyons, Tarpon Taproom, Maggie's Maze, The Maze, Anchor Point, Black Rock, and Tunnel of Love.

My favorite sites were all on the East End. The best wall dives we did were Babylon, Kangaroo Gorge, Jack McKenney's Caverns, The Maze, and Scuba Bowl, and my favorite reef dives were Little House and Black Rock.

If you haven't already picked a dive operator, you may want to check out Ocean Frontiers (www.oceanfrontiers.com). They are very professional, and they have a van that will pick you up if you don't want to bother with driving.

Have a great time!

We go to Cayman for a week every year (usually Feb-Apr timeframe) and all I can say is I'm glad I dove the west and north before the East End, because if it were the other way around, I'd have been really disappointed. Now, we just go from the airport to Cayman Dive Lodge and never leave until it's time to catch the flight home. Yes, there are some great sites on the North Wall, and nice shore dives North and West too, but I have yet to surface from and East End dive where I wasn't absolutely wowed. The wall just seems more spectacular, the reefs more vibrant, the fish more abundant and the North and West can't even come close on the spectacular swim thru's.

I haven't had a bad EE dive so it's hard to pick favorites, but some of my favorites are Jack McKenney's Wall, Top of the Maze, The Maze, Old #12, Chubb Hole, Photographic Reef, Grouper Grotto, Pat's Wall, Skinny Palm Tree, Tunnel of Love/River of Sand, Lodge Anchor, Cinderella's Castle and Dragon's Lair.

Back
Top Bottom