God's Pocket - Port Hardy Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRRKAR

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All!

As a Pennsylvania diver, I don't get to post much in the Western Canada forum, however our LDS just booked a trip next October to God's Pocket on Port Hardy Island.

Any good hints for an extended cold water dive vacation in this area?

Are the leaves still in the fall changing process in mid-Octoer?

Anything special to look for at that time of the year?

We are hoping to get a lot of great photography shots above and below water. Any good hints would be greatl appreciated.

Jeff

JRRKAR:
Hi All!

As a Pennsylvania diver, I don't get to post much in the Western Canada forum, however our LDS just booked a trip next October to God's Pocket on Port Hardy Island.

We are hoping to get a lot of great photography shots above and below water. Any good hints would be greatl appreciated.

Jeff
As far as the leaves changing Northern Vancouver Island is mostly evergreen trees but there are some colours. Be prepared for some nice drifts and more colours underwater than I have ever seen. The marine life is mostly invertabrate but still thousands of fish to see. Vis is usually crystal clear in october so it's a good time to go but you have to watch the weather it can be tricky in the fall. You should have a good time. Dress warm 7mil wetsuit or drysuit is optimum.

I didn't think about it being mostly evergreens. I'm used to PA where it is mostly leafy trees.

Yes I think we are all wearing drysuits, but bringing the 7mil, just in case of a leak. I would hate to go the whole way there, and get a tear in a seal and be done for the week.

If you've got time, spend some time in Vancouver or Victoria while you're in BC. There's a lot of deciduous trees in those cities, and a lot of beautiful scenery. Northern Vancouver Island is always pretty spectacular, though, and I'm sure you'll see a lot. The best tips I can give you for your trip are to bring warm clothes, especially hat, and mitts/gloves. The wind chill after getting out of the water can really make life miserable!

JRRKAR:
Hi All!

Jeff
You booked for October 2006? Wow! Is that necessary? Is it that hard to go diving out there or is this limited to the site you're talking about?

jiveturkey:
You booked for October 2006? Wow! Is that necessary? Is it that hard to go diving out there or is this limited to the site you're talking about?
The good times of year get booked a yr in advance.

Get ready for the best frikin diving in the world, great vis, tons of life, great operators. Located on one of the most spectalcular pieces of land ever created Gods Pocket has it all. Even the long drive to Port Hardy is awsome, you get the feel of really being out in the bush. The last trip I made I saw 7 black bears, 4 grey whales, a pod of Orcas, Thousands of white sided dolphins, and more bald eagles than you can shake a stick at.

Have fun

JUMBO

Jiveturkey : A friend from our LDS booked the trip, so I don't know much about the availability. They went to the same location two years ago and really enjoyed it. I do remember them talking about how quick it fills up.

Jumbo: That sounds great. We just picked up a 300mm zoom lens for our camera in hopes of catching some great wildlife shots about the water. I can't wait.

Thanks.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom