God's Pocket or somewhere else

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been to Browning Pass twice now (and will be returning the end of April) -- once in March and once in October. In March the weather was foul and the water temps were 45F -- in October we had wonderful weather and the water temps were 50F. I don't think we ever did more than 3 dives/day and, being a "Senior Citizen" I wouldn't even attempt to do otherwise.

As I'm TSandM's husband, you can correctly assume we stayed together, first at the Hideaway and then at God's Pocket. Now I haven't been back to the Hideaway since the make-over and I do understand the accomodations are much better. BUT, unless you really do like "rustic" AND money is a significant object, go to God's Pocket.

NOW, that written, I'd advise you NOT to go to either place -- at least not yet. Since you don't have your own gear, spend the money you'd spend on a trip and buy your own basic set of gear good for cold water. You were going to spend at least $2000 on this one trip, right? For that money, you can get:

a. DSS BP/W complete single tank setup;

b. Very usable dive computer/bottom timer (Zoop for example);

c. Very usable regulator (SubGear Cayman for example);

d. Serviceable dry suit -- Fusion One, Scubapro, or....

This will bill out to around $2000 (the dry suit is the biggest variable) and would be money well spent to assist you in your diving career.

Although I don't have a dry suit I have done the certification. I am currently starting to look for a suit. Not sure if I will buy new or used, but I do want to have a suit if I can swing it. I don't want to drag a lot of gear with me on a plane though.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ad thought of trying to go to Hornby Island or Quadra when I was there a couple of weeks ago, but it was just not doable in my time period. Barkley Sound looks interesting. I've heard it's quite good. Crazy what was happening with the Orcas up in Tofino when I was on the island.

For sure I don't necessarily have to dive the area around God's Pocket or Browning Hideaway. I have just heard that it's head and shoulders the best diving on the island. It takes an expense for me to come out from Toronto to do diving out there, so I'd like to make it worth the while. I'm planning for the next trip to be 7 days or maybe more. I will be practising some cold diving around Lake Ontario and Toberymory (Lake Huron) this spring and summer. There are areas with currents I can do some diving.

To answer the original question - which Scuba-Noob did pretty well in the first post. Browning Pass is amazing and the best diving on Vancouver Island and probably in North America. However it does require a dry suit and you will need to be able to manage currents, and kelp. It is possible to do it in a wet suit, but I wouldn't want to do three or more dives a day in those temperatures in a wet suit.

After Browning Pass comes - in order of preference - Barkley Sound, Quadra Island, Hornby Island, Naniamo, Victoria. In Barkely Sound I would use Rendevous Lodge, scuba diving Vancouver Island, Canada, Port Alberni, Bamfield, Barkley Sound, British Columbia, West coast about half way between Hideaway and God's Pocket in terms of amenities. Quadra island would be next, don't have an operation I would use there - someone will chime in, I am sure, with options. Hornby Island is centrally located to dive in a number of locations among the Gulf Islands, try the Dive Lodge there Hornby Island Diving - Home. Have heard good things about this operation. Have not been there, but have been diving in the area. Naniamo has some purpose sunk wrecks and some great dives (Dodds Narrows comes to mind). I think Sea Dragon charters is servicing this area these days. Sea Dragon Charters Victoria is local diving for me. Ogden Point and Race Rocks are two good dives. 10 Mile Point is a great shore dive.

I did have a computer, but it seems to have been lost between Cozumel and the flight home. I'll have to get a new one. I do have some credit at a dive store that I need to use up, so this was something I was going to do anyway. I will try to get my hands on a drysuit in the next few months. They are not as common around Toronto as out west, so there is less choice and the cost is a bit higher I think. I'll shop around. I really don't want to travel (especially on a plane) with a lot of equipment if I can help it.

Do you have a suggestion for somewhere else other than God's Pocket/Hideaway? I'm really not overly interested in wrecks. It's the marine life
I'm interested in.

I've been to Browning Pass twice now (and will be returning the end of April) -- once in March and once in October. In March the weather was foul and the water temps were 45F -- in October we had wonderful weather and the water temps were 50F. I don't think we ever did more than 3 dives/day and, being a "Senior Citizen" I wouldn't even attempt to do otherwise.

As I'm TSandM's husband, you can correctly assume we stayed together, first at the Hideaway and then at God's Pocket. Now I haven't been back to the Hideaway since the make-over and I do understand the accomodations are much better. BUT, unless you really do like "rustic" AND money is a significant object, go to God's Pocket.

NOW, that written, I'd advise you NOT to go to either place -- at least not yet. Since you don't have your own gear, spend the money you'd spend on a trip and buy your own basic set of gear good for cold water. You were going to spend at least $2000 on this one trip, right? For that money, you can get:

a. DSS BP/W complete single tank setup;

b. Very usable dive computer/bottom timer (Zoop for example);

c. Very usable regulator (SubGear Cayman for example);

d. Serviceable dry suit -- Fusion One, Scubapro, or....

This will bill out to around $2000 (the dry suit is the biggest variable) and would be money well spent to assist you in your diving career.

---------- Post added March 8th, 2013 at 11:46 PM ----------

Although I don't have a dry suit I have done the certification. I am currently starting to look for a suit. Not sure if I will buy new or used, but I do want to have a suit if I can swing it. I don't want to drag a lot of gear with me on a plane though.

Thanks for the suggestions. Barkley Sound "sounds" interesting. I've heard it's quite good. Crazy what was happening up in Tofino when I was on the island. For sure I don't necessarily have to dive the area around God's Pocket or Browning Hideaway. I have just heard that it's head and shoulders the best diving on the island. It takes an expense for me to come out from Toronto to do diving out there, so I'd like to make it worth the while. I will be practicing some cold diving around Lake Ontario and Toberymory (Lake Huron) this spring and summer. There are areas with currents I can do some diving.

To answer the original question - which Scuba-Noob did pretty well in the first post. Browning Pass is amazing and the best diving on Vancouver Island and probably in North America. However it does require a dry suit and you will need to be able to manage currents, and kelp. It is possible to do it in a wet suit, but I wouldn't want to do three or more dives a day in those temperatures in a wet suit.

After Browning Pass comes - in order of preference - Barkley Sound, Quadra Island, Hornby Island, Naniamo, Victoria. In Barkely Sound I would use Rendevous Lodge, scuba diving Vancouver Island, Canada, Port Alberni, Bamfield, Barkley Sound, British Columbia, West coast about half way between Hideaway and God's Pocket in terms of amenities. Quadra island would be next, don't have an operation I would use there - someone will chime in, I am sure, with options. Hornby Island is centrally located to dive in a number of locations among the Gulf Islands, try the Dive Lodge there Hornby Island Diving - Home. Have heard good things about this operation. Have not been there, but have been diving in the area. Naniamo has some purpose sunk wrecks and some great dives (Dodds Narrows comes to mind). I think Sea Dragon charters is servicing this area these days. Sea Dragon Charters Victoria is local diving for me. Ogden Point and Race Rocks are two good dives. 10 Mile Point is a great shore dive.

I don't know if the boat is back from Alaska when you are planning on heading out there but if it is I would suggest the Nautilus Swell. You might want to consider being there a bit later in the fall for better vis and lots of big life travelling through the local waters.

I don't know if they will be offering it this year for next. But last year Gods pocket offered a 5 day 4 night trip for $10,049 all in for the whole resort for up to 13 people. This was offered at the Tacoma dive show. Had to be April, May or June trip I believe and paid for in advance AFAIK. A bunch of people I dive with are there right now doing just that. Sadly i couldn't go this time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom