God's Pocket August 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to make it clear, Gods Pocket is not the Hideaway. Both operations dive the same area but appear to me to have very different approaches to operating a dive business. I have only dived with Gods Pocket and think that it is outstanding and is a truly world class dive charter. Have been there multiple times wiht the previous owners (Bill and Annie) and am planning to go back next year with the new owners, who by all accounts are maintaining the high standards.

I was just about to say we should clarify this as the thread could easily be mistaken as a God’s pocket bashing!

Sorry for the threadjack.
Browning Hideaway has always been on the “adventure diving” end of things: warm beds, hot food, and all the diving you can handle for cheap. A liveaboard without the ‘aboard’. Gods Pocket is a real resort and serves a higher-end clientele: you pay a little more and get a little more, including a hydraulic lift into the boat! It’s apparently a more sustainable business model and I’ll probably be ponying up to try it myself sometime. Any word what sort of rates and availability they have there? The website is still rather sparse...

no disrespect, but i'm getting a bit tired of substandard resorts/dive boats/ unsafe environments etc who pitch themselves as romanticized 'Adventure Diving' or 'Blue Collar' etc. and if you complain about it, highlight the substandard issues or challenge it you fall into some form of alternate highbrow category.

God's pockets isn't high end or any sort of 'resort' it's a collection of sheds with running water on the side of a lake..safety isn't overly expensive and the margin of profit for 'higher end operations' is not always higher than cheap operations run by cowboys.

And seriously...not having a go at you, but all diving is ‘adventure diving’ it’s not a different category because it’s not as dangerous and the cost may reflect that, so let’s not start that trend...

We are talking about two very remote diving operations at least an hour's boat ride away from civilization. Neither is luxury, but there is a vast difference in the level of attention, maintenance, staffing, and Safety between the two.

GP is well maintained, has several area and industry experts on staff all the time, and is very clean and comfortable with the best dive skiff on the planet.

By way of comparison, I'd say that God's Pocket is a decent Holiday Inn hotel and the Hideaway is a busted down RV with a leaky roof and lapsed registration. But the Hideaway costs less! (at least it would if still in operation)

It's a silly debate, lets move on.

Book a visit to God's Pocket now, its the best thing in cold water diving anywhere. One of the organizers I do a lot of trips with has some open spots next year in Fall 2020.
RICHARD SALAS Underwater Photographyrichard salas underwater photography

“God'sPocket is a decent Holiday Inn hotel and the Hideaway is a busted down RV with a leaky roof and lapsed registration.”
Lol, so true! Folks have had a lot of fun in busted down RVs over the decades though, perhaps moreso than in Holiday Inns. Hideaway had (has?) a sort of rustic charm and an admirable record given it’s rugged location, but I agree the safety was not really there compared to G’sP or others. When I was there the skiff sank! Twice! We were not even allowed to see inside the compressor shed... But safety costs money and at the time I was more than happy to take the risk, and very much enjoyed riding my antique motorcycle over the Rocks in the rain too. Different people have different tolerance for risk; it’s not fair to impose our values on them if they ain’t hurting nobody.

“open spots next year in Fall 2020.“
Any word on price? I’ve heard nothing but good things about G’sP, but it seems difficult to pin that particular number down. I’m looking for a BC dive next fall, but I spent all my money on gear again...

God’s Pocket is great and it’s a relief to hear that there was a smooth transition in ownership. I can’t wait to go back! The challenge I’m having is finding information on booking/availability on their website. How do you book with God’s Pocket these days?

Email them at team@godspocket.com
I've mentioned to Claus a couple of times that they need to update the website and calendar.
Thanks very much! I have a different email, which explains why I haven’t heard anything. A calendar would be a great addition to the site as people are willing to book prime dates well in advance.

Back
Top Bottom