Go Pro Hero 10 cannot turn on underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used all sorts of generic gopro batteries for my gp9 at temps down to 48 degrees. All of the batteries gave me the normal max recording times and i constantly use the single press on off since I hardly ever record full time

Does sound like a pressure induced housing issue.

So the camera works perfect outside the housing.
The camera does not work in the housing, but you state the buttons work perfect. How did you determine the buttons work perfect? The buttons may move, but if they are not activating the camera, they are not working.

I'm going with you have a camera housing issue. Until you cycle the buttons with the camera out of the housing, verify they work (you already did) then put it in the housing and try it again. You can press the buttons out of the water, it should do exactly what it does without the housing. Just a little more effort from the button seals and springs.

As for GoPro batteries and cold, I've seen plenty of snowboarding and snow mobile videos of these cameras running just fine in below freezing conditions. May not have the run time due to the cold, but they still work and have lots of usable run time. 50° water isn't going to phase them at all. You would probably need lab conditions to actually see any reduction in battery life.

So the camera works perfect outside the housing.
The camera does not work in the housing, but you state the buttons work perfect. How did you determine the buttons work perfect? The buttons may move, but if they are not activating the camera, they are not working.
Because the camera does work inside the housing. That's how I know the housing button works.

The camera did not work in the housing while under water.

Sometimes pressure differential is an issue. I have had this same problem with the 7,8,9 and 10. You can reset (or unfreeze it) by holding the button down for 10 seconds. (It used to be the side and top button at the same time). Not sure which GoPro document I read that showed me the hack but it takes it out of some kind of hold mode and reactivates.
Thank you! This sounds very plausible. Will try the reset next time it happens.

Have you tried leaving your gopro in the housing in the sink for a while and see if it does not work the same way?

Back
Top Bottom