Go pro for snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi I am not a diver but do snorkel and am going to Bonaire next year and am thinking of buying the go pro and wondered if anyone has used it when snorkelling and what kind of results they had. Many thanks

The good news for you is that like all cameras, the GoPro is going to produce better results in shallow water, so no expensive accessories required. If you don't want your footage to look Blair Witch, buy/make a tray.

Hi I am not a diver but do snorkel and am going to Bonaire next year and am thinking of buying the go pro and wondered if anyone has used it when snorkelling and what kind of results they had. Many thanks

I have fun with mine.. Snorkeling off the beach in shallow water...

Palm Beach Snorkeling from Beach - YouTube

[video=youtube_share;G8kEJxidLUw]http://youtu.be/G8kEJxidLUw?list=UU1utDku8vJRJYgBZImLyLJQ[/video]

A simple grip would work fine, just hold the camera steady, use both hands and don't try to kick and film at the same time.

If you can't freedive as deep as the bottom of where you're going, make sure you camera is leashed/tethered to you. I clip it with a lanyard and a carabiner on my shorts.

I recommend getting the filter from the video below, it's inexpensive and makes a big difference.

[video=youtube;G2DMUlMG3lw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2DMUlMG3lw[/video]

Ok here is my tips. 1 when going go under the water that way the waves don't bob you up and down. 2 don't bother with a filter it will make everything way to red and you will have to edit it at around 15ft the red filter makes a difference. At the surface it's to much then you have to edit your footage to correct it (more work) With the waves and a gopro on a mono pod it allows you to get closer to things and not damage the reef ect as your far away but the camera can get close. When your on the surface it bobs up and down like a cork with the waves making the footage shaky. The other tip is don't have the camera mounted on top of the mono pod flip it down it makes it way more stable and helps prevent the roll as the weight of the camera works to keep it steady. You can flip the camera in the settings or you can do it after editing the video.

Back
Top Bottom