Go, No Go Conditions in Monterey, CA for novice divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cowtown44

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Having only a couple of dives at San Carlos Bay, I'd like input from people who have experience in the Monterey area. When should a novice diver stay out of the water? Where can one best research current conditions to anticipate underwater conditions. We would be diving in full drysuits. Thanks!

The Franko map slash fish ID card shows a whole bunch of dive sites around the Monterey Peninsula.

Each one has a skill level and a brief description. Look for it at your LDS, or in your DM's backpack.

Do you expect to be doing most of your diving from boats? The shore?

I'm primarily a shore diver and have been using this site as a condition indicator lately:

CDIP Wave Model | CeNCOOS

If you're comfortable in 10 to 15 foot viz, then you really just need to watch the wave conditions. Currents aren't much of an issue on the Monterey side. Most entries are easy, except on the rare days the surf is up. Monterey harbor was a well chosen harbor---it's well protected most of the time.

For the time being, from shore 80-90% of the time.

There are different surf conditions at dive sites with direct exposure to Pacific wind and swell.

Shore sites on the bay side of the peninsula (around Hopkins Reef over to San Carlos) are protected from higher wave energy. These are nice places to get experience, see plenty of interesting things, and dial in your gear. My two enemies here are low viz and really cold water. There are times when I would like to spend three or four hours swimming around, but I just can't. It's too cold.

The ocean side of the peninsula gets the cold upwelling current head on. On a good day, the marine life is astounding.

A few of those sites have dangerous shore entries. These deserve more respect. Studying the conditions on the web and before you get in can save you some inconvenience or even injury. Taking a class that focuses on doing these well is a good use of your money and time, even if no additional card goes into your wallet. If you have played rugby or studied a martial art, you already have an appreciation for the problem.

On a peaceful day, to cross the thirty yards of the surf zone, you can simply drop to the bottom and try to crawl ashore. After going back and forth a few dozen times, you may have traveled a hundred zig-zaggy yards. To do this, you need to have the aerobic fitness to kick for five or ten minutes until you are free of the receding water. Do not try to start this stage tired.

On a day with a good breeze, you will need fitness, a tolerance for skidding impacts, and a turtle's indifference to abuse from behind. If you have ever seen a snowboarder faceplant at speed, you can imagine what it's like to be force-fed bottom samples. Toward the end, you will probably have surf breaking directly over you. These blows might relocate your gear. They will certainly spin your body around with enough force to keep you from controlling the position of your arms and legs. If your mask floods, you may not be able to clear it promptly. Getting free of this kind of water takes a concentrated effort, and may require several tries.

On a day with high surf, no exit is possible. Since the weather could change for the worse while you are below, you should have a plan covering how to call for rescue at the surface every time you dive one of these sites.

There are different surf conditions at dive sites with direct exposure to Pacific wind and swell.

Shore sites on the bay side of the peninsula (around Hopkins Reef over to San Carlos) are protected from higher wave energy. These are nice places to get experience, see plenty of interesting things, and dial in your gear. My two enemies here are low viz and really cold water. There are times when I would like to spend three or four hours swimming around, but I just can't. It's too cold.

The ocean side of the peninsula gets the cold upwelling current head on. On a good day, the marine life is astounding.

A few of those sites have dangerous shore entries. These deserve more respect. Studying the conditions on the web and before you get in can save you some inconvenience or even injury. Taking a class that focuses on doing these well is a good use of your money and time, even if no additional card goes into your wallet. If you have played rugby or studied a martial art, you already have an appreciation for the problem.

On a peaceful day, to cross the thirty yards of the surf zone, you can simply drop to the bottom and try to crawl ashore. After going back and forth a few dozen times, you may have traveled a hundred zig-zaggy yards. To do this, you need to have the aerobic fitness to kick for five or ten minutes until you are free of the receding water. Do not try to start this stage tired.

On a day with a good breeze, you will need fitness, a tolerance for skidding impacts, and a turtle's indifference to abuse from behind. If you have ever seen a snowboarder faceplant at speed, you can imagine what it's like to be force-fed bottom samples. Toward the end, you will probably have surf breaking directly over you. These blows might relocate your gear. They will certainly spin your body around with enough force to keep you from controlling the position of your arms and legs. If your mask floods, you may not be able to clear it promptly. Getting free of this kind of water takes a concentrated effort, and may require several tries.

On a day with high surf, no exit is possible. Since the weather could change for the worse while you are below, you should have a plan covering how to call for rescue at the surface every time you dive one of these sites.

Thanks for the detailed and frank analysis! Is there a class around Monterey that focuses on entry and exits specific to the area?

Is there a class around Monterey that focuses on entry and exits specific to the area?

I am the last person to ask about recreational dive instruction in Monterey, or anywhere else. Certainly the other ScubaBoard/NorCal posters would know more. Maybe the local AOW classes go into this?

The subject has been debated on SB before: Is Monterey dangerous?

That thread turned into a big pissing match, but there's a good photo attached showing an unprepared diver who somehow took a beating on a calm day and looks happy to be on solid ground again.

Nice to see somebody else from Vacaville on here! I use the NOAA buoys they give you some good info also most of the dive shops in Monterey have guided dives that are pretty inexpensive and are a good way to learn the local shore diving.

The web site created by the late Chuck Tribolet is a good place to start:
See Monterey Sea Conditions at a Glance
And more details on what it all means here:
Monterey Bay Sea Conditions - Some Examples

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I second this advice. This site is where I learned the most about the signifigance of swell direction and how it impacts different shore entries. Another good one for a beginner due to it's simplicity : Dive Conditions & More | Aquarius Dive Shop Another bit of advice would be that when you arrive to do your dive, stop and look at the entry for several minutes before suiting up. Forecasts and buoy measurements are great for planning but when you are entering the actual conditions are what matter. Note that swells come in sets with calmer periods between. It may look deceivingly calm and easy at a glance between sets. Er on the side of caution and enter exit with you fins+ mask on and reg in your mouth if it looks like the waves could possibly knock you over. Wave action sometimes gets bigger later in the day so be willing to crawl out even if your entry was relatively easy.

My general rule:
Breaking surf at or below knee height= no worries.
Surf from knee to waist= likely enter exit with fins etc. on.
Surf higher than waist= cancel dive or check a different site

One more bit of advice. If you are worried about shore entries don't think that doing a boat dive is a safer/easier option. The boat does eliminate some of these issues but it brings a whole new set of risks and challenges that in my opinion are of greater concern/risk for a new diver in this area

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom