Go-mask vs Octomask frameless??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crab4life

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all I am looking to buy a Gopro mask for filming dives and and it seams like the XS GoMask and the OctoMask are the only real competitors. Has anybody used them, and if so what did you think? I was leaning to the Gomask due to the fact it has the stainless steel mount and it is mounted a little ahead of the mask (possibly letting bubbles sneak behind the camera instead of in front?) but I am open to different opinions and ideas. Also which do you prefer, single pane (window?) mask or the 2 pane masks

2 window XS GoMask
XS Scuba MA560 GoMask - Scuba Diving Mask for GoPro Hero Cameras

1 window Octomask

https://octomask.com/product/octomask-frameless/

I have seen many videos shot with a GoPro attached to a person's mask. NONE of them look good.

They are shaky, move around constantly, distracting, and very often have bubbles flowing in front of the lens.

I would recommend hand holding the GoPro for better results. I use: UK GoPro Pole 8

You get closer and better shots. Consider it.

I can think of a lot of bad places to mount a GoPro during a dive, but on the mask is at the top of my list. Think about how much you'll be moving your head around and how that will transfer to the video.

Get a pole or a platform/handle mount if you must video.

I agree with both of the above... plus the extra weight of the camera pulling down on a mask, entanglement hazard of something hooking on the camera and removing your mask (ymmv), BUT if you happen to have your mind set on that style of mount it really comes down to the fit of the particular mask on your face.

Won a Gomask and its great. It works good when I'm out chasing crab. I will be using a tray, a sealife dragon mini 600, and a polar pro macro lens for actual videoing.

I've got a GoMask. I guess I must be pretty calm in the water, because the video wasn't shaky or all over the place. You can barely feel the GoPro on the mask.

I've got a GoMask. I guess I must be pretty calm in the water, because the video wasn't shaky or all over the place. You can barely feel the GoPro on the mask.

I'm sure it can be done. By reading your profile it would appear that you have much more diving experience than the OP, so I'd expect that you are calmer, slower, more methodical and better prepared to handle a problem underwater than someone with 25-49 dives.

Post a couple videos, I'd like to see them.

If you are inclined to go this route: Why not get the Intova camera mask mount and attach it to your favourite/current (framed) mask? I've used it and it works for the GoPro and any camera that takes a threaded or gopro style mount

If you are inclined to go this route: Why not get the Intova camera mask mount and attach it to your favourite/current (framed) mask? I've used it and it works for the GoPro and any camera that takes a threaded or gopro style mount

I won it for free, and they want me to leave some feedback on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom