Glue on wrist seal help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not quite that simple. Careful prep is key.

1. Remove the old seal and then carefully scrape off all the old glue. Using a hairdryer of heat gun (carefully) helps. Use a blunt scraper.

2. When that is done then scuff up both parts with sandpaper and clean with the solvent of your choice.

3. Dry fit both parts to check that everything will work.

4. With the sleeve on the mandrel, put a wrap of tape on the sleeve starting about 3/4" from the open end. The tape should be about 3" wide. This protects the sleeve from excess glue. As I think about it this step is only needed if you are applying glue to both surfaces and is not needed when using Aquaseal.

5. Fold over your sleeve so about 3/4" (or what ever the width of the area to glue is) of the sleeve inside is folded to the outside.

6. Slide the SiTech ring on your mandrel so that the distal (far when installed) end is flush with the mandrel bottom.

7. Slide the sleeve on your mandrel so that the folded sleeve and the wrist ring touch, then tighten the hose clamp just above the fold.

8. Give the surfaces to be glued another swipe of solvent - I'm chicken, here I'm using rubbing alcohol.

9. Apply a THIN layer of Aquaseal to the wrist ring. I have found a tongue depressor perfect as an application tool.

10. Using a clean tongue depressor, slide it under the sleeve fold and work it slowly down onto the glue. Move around the sleeve as you go.

11. Put a 5# weight on top and walk away for 12 hours.

12. Using your clean tongue depressor carefully separate the sleeve/ring assembly from the mandrel.

13. If needed, using the applicator tongue depressor, apply a thin overlay of Aquaseal where the sleeve edge and ring meet. This way nothing can get under there to start peeling the sleeve up. You can do the same inside, but the mandrel leaves a very nice, smooth joint and I didn't feel any need to do that.

Good luck.

---------- Post added March 14th, 2015 at 07:01 PM ----------

That is what I have. I also use the dry gloves with them. Give me a PM if you need more help installing them.

BTW, I tore a wrist seal after suiting up and was able to EASILY replace it while still wearing the suit.

Awesome, thanks for the write up! Im gonna send you a PM right now. I just saw the oval ones, any opinions on those?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom