Glovers Atoll Resort vs. Huracan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan: Hard to say on the snorkeling as I couldn't get my wife to swim all the way out to the reef so we just did the close stuff which was very limited. It's only a couple hundred yards out but there is a lot of shallow sea grass to swim through first. There are a couple of kayaks available which might make access easier. The sunken barge near the back dock has some interesting life on it. Best time is near sunset as that is when the starfish and other interesting creatures come out.

As for the alcohol, we aren't serious drinkers so in one week we collectively downed 4 beers and 2 cocktails so we didn't run up much of a bar tab. If you want beer, you will be stuck with Belizian varieties as there are no imported beers in Belize. The local beer was very drinkable (but I'm by no means a connoisseur so don't necessarily trust my word on it). If you plan to imbibe heavily though, you might want to bring your own alcohol however as the cost can add up.

Cheers for the info, really appreciate it. We don't drink a lot either, but it's good to know that they have some on the island for sale.
Is there one thing you that you brought along or wished you brought along for the trip that you really needed?
Also, what was the viz and temperature? Did you have to wear a wetsuit?
Thanks

As it was partly cloudy to cloudy most of the time we were there, vis wasn't as good as it could have been but was easily 80 to 100'. The sponges were also spawning which was putting some muck into the water. As far as temperature, I can't give actual numbers but I was in a 3mm full, my wife in a 1mm+diveskin, and the other couple was in 3mm shorties and nobody seemed to have any problems with the water temperature. It may be a little warmer when you get there though.

As far as what to bring that you normally wouldn't think of all I can think of is an extra swimsuit and at least 2 boat/beach towels each. Nothing dries very quickly down there so you'll need to keep trading things out on the line. Beyond that, just bug spray and a flashlight.

I guess this is too late for the OP, who has already decided on a resort, but for others who may have found this thread looking for an answer to the same question:

I have twice visited Long Caye, Glover's Reef. It is the next island over from the island referred to above as camping only. Long Caye has two outfits: Slickrock and Off the Wall Dive Resort. Both are rustic. Both have similar accommodations: A hand-washing station and a shower hut, but no running water in the cabins, and of course no air conditioning. Each has an outhouse. At Slickrock, showers are lukewarm at the end of a hot sunny day, and rather chilly at the end of a cloudy or cool day, and I think Off the Wall's showers are similar. But if you can handle that, the place is paradise; all sand and coconuts.

Slickrock is an all-inclusive resort that does a variety of water sports, including wind surfing, kayak surfing, sea kayaking, and snorkeling. They do not have diving, but if you stay there you can dive a-la-carte with Off the Wall. If you stay at Off the Wall you cannot participate in any of Slickrock's activities, though OtW does have its own kayaks.

The advantage for a mixed couple (one diver, one non-diver) is if they stay at Slickrock the non-diver will have a full plate of watersport activities and the diver can dive all he/she wants.

I learned to dive at OtW while staying at Slickrock, and Long Caye Wall is one of the world's great diving spots. True, you cannot dive the Blue Hole or other places, but for a week's diving, you won't need to dive anywhere else.

It's a long, arduous boat ride to Long Caye from Belize City if you stay with Slickrock, or a somewhat shorter ride from (I think) Dangriga if you stay at OtW, and the distance and time it takes to get there is why I've only been there twice, but I hope to go again some day.

The people at both places are fabulous. At Slickrock the guides are also instructors and teach all their activities, from snorkeling to windsurfing. At OtW the owners (Jim and Kendra) are in residence and are just wonderful people. I got certified there and my instructor (Lucky) was great, though the second time I went there he was no longer with them.

If you like rustic, you cannot go wrong at either place. I would not go in winter, however, as it can be chilly and the sea can be cold and rough.

Daniel

About 6 years ago my wife and I got certified out at glovers ,the resort that the Lamonts owned ,we went there for 3 years loving it the first 2 then things changed ,I know Becky and her husband Breeze split and he left the island in which we really felt safe with Breeze ,I think the island took a turn for the worst with a much seedier element .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom