Gloom & doom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thinking reasonably about these topics it should be considered pretty common sense that the things we are doing to our planet are less desirable for its health than if it was left "alone".

I completely agree.

But because we are part of the natural world and happen to be the creature at the top of all the other creatures we are "designed" to leave a big mark on this planet.
And our design does not go very well with leaving other things and creatures "alone" or at peace. We really enjoy being at the top and like to stay there.
No matter the cost....

Population control or lack there of is a really big problem as all the growing populations are living in the warm areas where the corals are!

It doesn't matter so much where (geographically) the largest mass of human beings lives.

What matters is that there are indeed way too many people on our blue ball and they all need food, housing and lots of goodies to keep them happy and healthy.

We simply do not have enough sustainable (natural) resources for them....

I think in the end it doesn't really matter why global warming is happening. The important thing is what we are going to do about it. Or how we are going to deal with it.

You could start with drinking water with your Thai food instead of beer Chang and to have an English breakfast without the beans.

I do my part with recycling my PADI Instructor Manual DVD's and with letting my daughter wear some of her Mom's shoes rather than buying her own.
:acclaim:

I am all for recycling, and as we discussed some weeks ago on another thread, one of my pet hates is litter, we should all do what we can in every way to minimise the effect of our actions on the environment and other people that live in it.
When I make this next statement I am not saying that human activity on the Earth has not had an effect on the climate because the truth is I just dont know the answer to that. But there is one thing for sure, while scientists keep producing 'facts' on climate change and people believe it is down to our actions, the gravy train that so many are sat on at the moment will continue to run.

You could start with drinking water with your Thai food instead of beer Chang and to have an English breakfast without the beans.

I do my part with recycling my PADI Instructor Manual DVD's and with letting my daughter wear some of her Mom's shoes rather than buying her own.
:acclaim:

Never could drink Elephant Pee....

2 of my favorite things to do when residing in Phuket or elsewhere in coastal Thailand was walking along the beach with my daughter after an intense SWesterly and picking up the little net floats...red ones, green ones, yellow ones, ect ect. Shoot we have thousands of those gosh darn little things and don't know what to do with them and also hauling away lumber that had washed ashore to make furniture or repairs to boats. And I particularly enjoy all the Thai festivals where they sell 2nd hand clothes sent to us from the more prosperous nations. Stuff that in some cases is practically new and of good quality. Old vintage Hawaiian silk shirts or old dive club or surf T-shirts. Stuff that U can buy for 35baht (1usd) or in my case 3 for 100baht :cool2:

"One Mans Junk, Another Mans Treasure" - Fred Sanford

its really simple life started in the ocean and it will end when the oceans are gone. i am not a tree hugger but we damage the oceans at a faster rate because of technology . thats just a fact

its really simple life started in the ocean and it will end when the oceans are gone. i am not a tree hugger but we damage the oceans at a faster rate because of technology . thats just a fact
:clapping:

The human species is a cancer on this planet. And the further it spreads the more convoluted and grotesque it becomes until it will boil up into the hideous mass of elements we have tranformed from one substance into another and it will consume and smother us.:nailbiter::coolingoff: :bonk:

In the end it will be only "Khao Niaow and Khai Mot Daeng" and the People from Issan will once again rule the Earth. :rofl3:

haha. I live in Issan, so I'll be here after the apocalypse munching away on all the delicious food!!

Last edited:
"One Mans Junk, Another Mans Treasure" - Fred Sanford

Yup, very true indeed.

At our home we keep all the things we don't need/want anymore and collect some more here and there from friends (from used clothes hangers to furniture and from kids toys to old wetsuits) and put it on our truck a couple of times a year and bring it to my wife's relatives (rubber tappers) in Trang. :bounce4::bounce2::bounce::bounce3:

Now some of those guys are using my old wetsuit and dive torch when catching fish in the pond, are the local kids playing with our daughter's toys, is grandma cooking on our old gas stove (rather than using wood and charcoal) and are half of the villagers wearing diveshop T-shirts when tapping rubber....

Personally I have been lucky enough to get some nice used laptops and other hardware from friends and I pass those on as well when I buy something new.

Better make someone happy with it than tossing it in the bin or selling it for next to nothing....

The human species is a cancer on this planet. And the further it spreads the more convoluted and grotesque it becomes until it will boil up into the hideous mass of elements we have tranformed from one substance into another and it will consume and smother us.

Just imagine you could time-travel with a couple of buddies (complete with a small but fully equipped dive boat) to a time before us humans started exploiting our oceans and natural world.
Every dive must have been a crazy adventure with eye to eye encounters with huge predators :jaws:, walls of fish :fish: and truly untouched pristine reefs....

Ahhhhhhh....:uwphotographer:

haha. I live in Issan, so I'll be here after the apocalypse munching away on all the delicious food!!

Shhhitt, Howdy Partner! Nothin like huntin" rice paddy rats in the dark of night.
In the mornin wrap them up in a banana leaf with a little fermented mud fish, steam them, eat them, and U be kickin long after the apocalypse. You got some gun racks in your Edan :rofl3:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom