Global Warming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I posted earlier about our solar adventures. The simple truth is that it doesn't actually cost a penny to do it, in fact you win a little where I live with the cost of energy as it is here.
Have to admit that the house I bought already had solar panels, but I am an absolute disciple of them now. The darn things (3 panels) work so well that we had to cover one panel, the water got too hot! Did not even know the water heater was busted until a couple cloudy days came by, they work that well.

With all the other "offset" BS clouding issues, solar power is simple and supremely effective. It would not be a stretch to mandate new house builds to incorporate the panels. Hell, the government mandates all sort of useless crap, might as well do something proven effective. They are not cheap, but the US has tax credits for them if you install them. I will not own another house without them, they are an eye opener, so to speak.

Unfortunately, solar isn't as good here in Canada. Some people heat water with it, but that's about as far it goes.
It's true, it doesn't work everywhere - but where it does it pays for itself.

Generally though, given that the whole idea is to cause less pollution by using less, or differently produced energy, it's normally going to save money to "go green". In the UK there have always been farmers running stuff off the methane produced by chicken-poop. That wins several ways - the methane doesn't escape to the atmosphere, diesel isn't burnt producing exhaust pollution, and it's virtually free for the farmer. What's not to like about it?

Have to admit that the house I bought already had solar panels, but I am an absolute disciple of them now. The darn things (3 panels) work so well that we had to cover one panel, the water got too hot! Did not even know the water heater was busted until a couple cloudy days came by, they work that well.

With all the other "offset" BS clouding issues, solar power is simple and supremely effective. It would not be a stretch to mandate new house builds to incorporate the panels. Hell, the government mandates all sort of useless crap, might as well do something proven effective. They are not cheap, but the US has tax credits for them if you install them. I will not own another house without them, they are an eye opener, so to speak.
There you go.......

There ARE ways to discuss this stuff that work. And there ARE solutions that can be implemented, albeit different ones in different places according to situation.

We've just started turning on the under floor heating that is part of the system we had installed as it's getting colder now. It's fantastic, and so far has totally replaced the gas heater we would otherwise be using by now. So we don't just win on the electricity side, we're winning on the gas bill too! :D Our system is knocking out around 30 kw/hrs a day.

Great discussion. Here in cloudy Ontario, the big thing is Geothermal heating, taking heat from the ground through recirculating fluid-filled loop underground. Of course, this still needs a pump to drive the fluid and something to power the heat exchanger, but this is minimal and perhaps covered by additional solar or wind, or just bite the bullet and pay the $180.00 electric bill. My neighbour installed such a system last year, and her house was pretty comfortable all Canadian winter long. Her system worked off harvesting the heat existing in her well water, which of course does not freeze deeper than about 2 meters/6 feet underground. Plus, in the summer, the system worked to cool her house, so no aircon....

I'm thinking about it, especially since heating oil (what we have out here in the country) has tripled in price. Should be able to pay the geothermal system off in 5 years. Plus, no tie to the oil company!

Oh, and Warthaug, the local municipality's recycling doesn't deal with the minifluoros, too toxic!?! So I'm just turning off lights when not used, for now.

It's true, it doesn't work everywhere - but where it does it pays for itself.

In the UK there have always been farmers running stuff off the methane produced by chicken-poop. That wins several ways - the methane doesn't escape to the atmosphere, diesel isn't burnt producing exhaust pollution, and it's virtually free for the farmer. What's not to like about it?

Some of my family do a similar thing, albeit with cows. Poop goes in a fermenter, methane is collected, and its used to heat the barn. The leftovers is pretty good for fertilizing the fields. Not exactly the most dramatic use for it, but it keeps the cows alive during winter, and the system paid for itself in about 2 years.

Bryan

Oh, and Warthaug, the local municipality's recycling doesn't deal with the minifluoros, too toxic!?! So I'm just turning off lights when not used, for now.

That's too bad. Where abouts are you - I'm moving to TO next week (Saturday to be exact), and was assuming that the same resources available here in Calgary would be available there... well everything except for all the wanna-be cowboys.

Bryan

I'm glad to see that this thread has turned in the right direction - CONSERVATION
that is where we can make the biggest impact on global warming and consumption of our natural resources. I still dont buy into the "Man made" cause, but we have been conservation minded for years, with the exception of the Truck, want/need to pull the Fifth wheel. When we settle down and retire, our house will be "Stand alone". Solar, wind, DC lighting, grey water system and rain water gathering. Cost will not Equal savings as it will cost about $80K more in the construction, and that is ALOT of gas and electricity, but we will not be reliant on any "public Utilities". Very helpful when the nearest grid is 10 miles away.....

Cost will not Equal savings as it will cost about $80K more in the construction, and that is ALOT of gas and electricity, but we will not be reliant on any "public Utilities". Very helpful when the nearest grid is 10 miles away.....
Doesn't that depend how long it's spread over? The life of your system?

In our case my wife arranged a sort of "mortgage" over the guaranteed life of the system. The monthly repayment is what is being balanced. It's about break-even, but I prefer paying for solar instead of power-plant. Our cost was about $50,000.

I'm glad to see that this thread has turned in the right direction - CONSERVATION
that is where we can make the biggest impact on global warming and consumption of our natural resources. I still dont buy into the "Man made" cause, but we have been conservation minded for years, with the exception of the Truck, want/need to pull the Fifth wheel. When we settle down and retire, our house will be "Stand alone". Solar, wind, DC lighting, grey water system and rain water gathering. Cost will not Equal savings as it will cost about $80K more in the construction, and that is ALOT of gas and electricity, but we will not be reliant on any "public Utilities". Very helpful when the nearest grid is 10 miles away.....

see i agree with this. i don't buy the total "man made" cause either, but i am all for conservation as well.

One thing my state and city have failed spectacularly at is implementing any sort of real recycling program. it is very unfortunate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom