Global warming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wildcard, I think Clive was trying to make a joke by linking high-emissions engines to global warming, which may lead to increased number and severity of hurricanes..

clive francis:
you could always help yourselves and the environment by getting rid of the huge v8's and going for the european sized engines that give you 40 mpg rather than 40 gpm.

what kind of car do i drive, clive?

:14:

clive francis:
you could always help yourselves and the environment by getting rid of the huge v8's and going for the european sized engines that give you 40 mpg rather than 40 gpm.

that way you wouldn't have a fuel shortage.

this might cut down on the increasing number of huge storms you guys seem to be getting now days.

Clive, I drive a VW Passat, 1.8L turbo 4. Highway driving it gets around 32 MPG, city about 24MPG.

BTW, according to a show Sunday evening on Discovery Channel, a temperature increase of 1 degree C in some Atlantic Ocean area is an indicator that some nasty storms MAY be formed. Interesting that during the '40's the higher temps were noted, then the temps returned back to "normal" during the '60's-'80's. The temps have been elevated the last few summers.

BTW, did the British government send the military rations, like our MRE's? I have heard, never tried it firsthand, that the British military rations aren't bad.

jonnythan:
Wildcard, I think Clive was trying to make a joke by linking high-emissions engines to global warming, which may lead to increased number and severity of hurricanes..
No he was listening to the rant from the germay something or other who said the US was at fault for global warming due to our V8 engines and we had brought this storm upon our selves.

Here is the REAL reason for global warming! Sorry, I haven't figured out how to make this a link. Scroll down to the graph. http://www.venganza.org/

jonnythan:

it wasn't a joke it was a statement!

exhaust gases increase the greenhouse effect which is effecting the climate.

there is no denying that the frequency and severity of the storms you and the rest of the world have increased considerably.

Wildcard:
No he was listening to the rant from the germay something or other who said the US was at fault for global warming due to our V8 engines and we had brought this storm upon our selves.

Here is the REAL reason for global warming! Sorry, I haven't figured out how to make this a link. Scroll down to the graph. http://www.venganza.org/

i never said you were at fault i said you could help yourselves.

if there is no shortage why are some gas stations empty and others having queues of days or more to get gas?

simple maths really if you car does more to the gallon than the v8 gas guzzelers then it doesn't cost as much, so you don't have to complain about the cost, think yourself lucky you don't have to pay the prices we have to, then you would be really pissed off!! especially as it is £1.00 ($1.70) a litre in some places

if the car is more economical then there is more to go around and less of a queue.

sorry for stating the obvious!

clive francis:
it wasn't a joke it was a statement!

exhaust gases increase the greenhouse effect which is effecting the climate.

there is no denying that the frequency and severity of the storms you and the rest of the world have increased considerably.

Are you speculating on this or do you have some facts? We haven't had this kind of storm since the 60s. Everything is blamed on increasing the greenhouse effect. Cars can't be helping but there is a large group of people that feel that this is just another "normal" climatic change. Alaska used to be lush, warm and green year round not so long ago and the lower 48 was under an ice cap. This was not so long ago. Things change, thats just the way it is.

Im chalking his misinformation up the the media. "America has been destroyed!" Funny, even at over $3/gallon I don't see anyone slowing down to save fuel. The power of the American economy!

clive francis:

i admit that the thought has crossed my mind (that global warming and the
severity of the last few storms are related).

however, i haven't seen any evidence that links the two

i wouldn't be surprised, though... if you change climate (by making things hotter)
you are bound to change the weather

H2Andy:
i admit that the thought has crossed my mind (that global warming and the
severity of the last few storms are related).

however, i haven't seen any evidence that links the two

i wouldn't be surprised, though... if you change climate (by making things hotter)
you are bound to change the weather

I don't think that you can ever really link a particular storm, or even a few, specifically to global warming. What you can do though IMO, is realize that the predicted theoretical results of global warming includes increased weather related events. When you then see such weather events actually occuring, very much along the lines of the predictions, I guess everyone can draw their own conclusions.

Kim:
I don't think that you can ever really link a particular storm, or even a few, specifically to global warming. What you can do though IMO, is realize that the predicted theoretical results of global warming includes increased weather related events. When you then see such weather events actually occuring, very much along the lines of the predictions, I guess everyone can draw their own conclusions.

its not just a few, if you take the last 5 or 10 years, the storms are increasing in severity and numbers.

lets just hope it is pure coincidence that this is not connected to the global warming that is occuring which has been linked to amongst other things car exhaust gases.

another question:

how many more storms of this severity is it going to take for america to wake up and make the link to global warming and emission control?

last year my car insurance went up by a considerable amount, when i asked why, i was told it was because of the hurricanes and tornadoes in the US, i said i have never driven my car over there or made a claim resulting from either of these, why should i pay?

the response i got was basically because we have you over a barrel!

Back
Top Bottom