Glass scratches?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkkchris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So after my first day of three dives with the comp., the screen is noticeably scratched. I never subjected the unit to any use other than strapped to my arm, so just the normal wear, maybe brushing up against a few thing here and there, but nothing that any other comp would not encounter.

There are a few very noticeable scratches and then quite a few less noticeable lines all over the glass. They will not come out and you can clearly feel the marks when you run your fingers over the glass...

Has anyone else noticed this? I did not put any screen protector on the unit as it does not state the need for one and from what I have read on the various reviews people seem to state that the glass is very strong and scratch resistant...

I just put a screen protector on each of ours - I have about 3 tiny scratches already and dont want more!

i have only one scratch that i did right after i got my unit, when i was sawing mooring line out of a 4' prop, and basically bashing the screen against the blade of the prop, unaware of what i was doing... (it was on my right wrist and i was sawing with a hacksaw with my right hand).

Other than that I have not put anymore scratches on it, nor on either of the two demo units - just looked, they are both scratchless in seattle (mine and one demo unit i just dug out of the bottom of the milk crate under the cans of couple of big 13.4ah canister lights, the computers were NOT in their bags)

anyhow, i'm just relating my experience with the mineral glass. i'm not easy on gear, I don't even pretend to be... I send the demo's out with random people (that i've seen accidentally drop them in the parking lot or set tanks on them) so i'm a bit surprised that people are finding them so easy to scratch.

Yeah. I was surprised as well. I am not hard on my gear, and since this comp was brand new I was being pretty careful with it. Maybe its not as bad as I make it sound, but still, with a new toy, every little mark hurts! Guess I need to put a screen protector and live with the scratches.

So, since there isn't a screen protector made for the SDA, what would people recommend to use? I am thinking one of the Zagg Invishields made for something similar in size. The GPS covers are probably close, like the TomTom One is 3.5" so that might be a good fit to trim down to the 2.5".

So after my first day of three dives with the comp., the screen is noticeably scratched. I never subjected the unit to any use other than strapped to my arm, so just the normal wear, maybe brushing up against a few thing here and there, but nothing that any other comp would not encounter.

There are a few very noticeable scratches and then quite a few less noticeable lines all over the glass. They will not come out and you can clearly feel the marks when you run your fingers over the glass...

Has anyone else noticed this? I did not put any screen protector on the unit as it does not state the need for one and from what I have read on the various reviews people seem to state that the glass is very strong and scratch resistant...

Although most scratches disappear underwater, I would definitely put a screen protector on to prevent scratches. It does not matter how careful you are - if you dive enough, you WILL get scratches ....

I was in my local Best Buy today and they had a clearance bin of Zagg shields for phones. I picked a touch-screen phone model that looked to be close and got it for $3.99 USD. Took the faceplate off the SDA and trimmed the Zagg down to fit. It installed great and can't even tell it is there once the faceplate was back on. I consider that cheap protection against scratches.

I was in my local Best Buy today and they had a clearance bin of Zagg shields for phones. I picked a touch-screen phone model that looked to be close and got it for $3.99 USD. Took the faceplate off the SDA and trimmed the Zagg down to fit. It installed great and can't even tell it is there once the faceplate was back on. I consider that cheap protection against scratches.

Zagg do a 'universal' Invisishield. I ordered 2 off of Amazon so that I had a spare but to be honest there is enough in each to do 4 Zurichs and looking at the stuff I get the feeling that this is a 'removable' 'permanent' fix anyway, in other words I probably won't need to replace it any time soon!

The universal kits come with a pattern grid so that you can sketch out the size & shape of your item so that you can then accurately cut your shield out...

The best bit though is the price... 50% of the cost of a pre-cut 'model specific' kit

Paul
:cool3:

Yup. I pretty much did the same thing. Had an extra iPhone screen protector... cut it down to size and it is pretty much not noticeable after you put the case back over the screen. Covered up the scratches I had almost 100% too... Should have done that to begin with... but oh well!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom