Glaring flash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100_7915.jpg

100_7976.jpg

Ok, lets see if this works.

Looks like backscatter - but an extreme amount of it at least in the second photo. Is there still glass in the frame in that photo? Maybe you were getting a reflection of the backscatter off it also.

Getting an external strobe would help. The basic idea is to get the flash off the same plane as the camera lens so that the particles don't reflect the light back to the lens.

SteveC:
hmmmm.... I guess it didn't work.

Steve,
you can get a free account at flickr.com to post your photos on. It is a great site. Yahoo bought it so if you have a Yahoo mail account you can use the same password.

If you are using a homemade housing, did you isolate the lens area from the strobe area?

My Olympus PT-010 as a black rubber "tunnel" in ide the housing that the lens opens into.

The back scatter is caused by the strobe on the camera being on the same plane as the camera lens. The particles in the water act as mirrors reflecting back the light.

I use an external strobe positioned on a different plane then the lens, however I found the camera strobe which triggers the external strobe contibuted to backscatter so I blackened out the housing's diffuser faceplate. The external strobe still sees the light from the camera strobe...but the camera strobe doesn't project to the subject.

Backscatter (if that's what it is) can be limited by getting close, keeping the strobe-subject-camera angle at 45 degrees and, at a rather high cost in f/stops, polarizing filtration at the strobe and the lens. Range gating is a great technology for solving this problem but I don't think it's made it to consumer (or even professional) cameras yet.

I can't really remember if there is glass in the frame or not. I don't think so though.
I believe I have the lens isolated from the flash. At least there is no glare on surface pictures.

Back
Top Bottom