DIR- Generic Giving long hose with wired light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LordHavoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone explain me the method of giving primary reg to your buddy when you have the light wire in the way? I have only done the air giving drill with a light without the wire.

Donate the second stage, stabilize, then: move light head around long hose counterclockwise (UNDER/OVER), deploy the remainder of the longhose (clear battery/pull out slack) and be on your way wherever you need to go. If it's a drill, then clean up in reverse, including moving light head clockwise OVER/UNDER. Hard to picture it all in your head but it magically works in real life.

There is an alternative. When I deploy my light at the beginning of the dive I run it under my long hose (between hose and chest) across the chest before it goes on my left hand for this reason. This also helps to avoid the light cord drooping lower below when in trim. Run it between my hose and chest in reverse when stowing the lighthead on right chest d-ring. Can also stow the light head temporarily on left d-ring to avoid running it under the hose but I tend not to chose this option. Not sure this is GUE compatible but it’s how I was taught using the NTEC configuration (NAUI’s version of DIR which incidentally was founded just a year before GUE).

GUE used to teach this and dropped it. It is a bad idea because you are more likely to clip off your light and forget to bring the cord back over the hose resulting in a trapped hose. This is a bigger problem than having the hose and cord slightly twisted if you forget to pass the cord under the hose initially during an actual air share.

GUE used to teach this and dropped it. It is a bad idea because you are more likely to clip off your light and forget to bring the cord back over the hose resulting in a trapped hose. This is a bigger problem than having the hose and cord slightly twisted if you forget to pass the cord under the hose initially during an actual air share.
Fair enough, GUE doesn’t change things without a good reason. Although I think it wouldn’t lead to a catastrophic trapping of the hose, you could still deploy the entire thing through the light loop but it would be annoying. It hasn’t happened to me yet (I think the odd time it was going to happen I noticed something being wrong when trying to tuck the light cord into my waist webbing) but I’ll try it at the start of my next dive to see how it hinders donation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom