Giving Away Dive Instructor Certifications.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cnctina:
No, there are two of us.

Whew, I was feeling................ lonely there for a moment. Thanks.

Heffey:
You can only teach in a similar environment in which you were taught.
Jeffrey

I addressed this issue before and I will say it again. I want to avoid future students out there choosing an instructor based solely on where he was trained.

There is no diving in the instructor course.

A better way to say it is that the instructor can teach only in environments he dives often.

I know how to teach but I will not teach anyone in cold water until I dive there quite often and am very comfortable in that environment.

97fxdwg:
Don't forget NASDS. Am I the ONLY one here with that certiification?

NASDS was absorbed into SSI..... I know a few guys myself that are certified under NASDS, including a few of my instructors.

NJDevil:
I feel OW instructors can get certified in the carribean or parts where there is clear water for visual reasons but I believe they must ALSO BE CERTIFIED FOR THE STATE THEY ARE TRAINING OTHERS.

Certainly diving in New Jersey or New York is significantly different from diving in tropical waters that is like a swimming pool. How are you prepared for the areas when all you dive is a swimming pool environment.

I agree that an instructor or divemaster should definitley be familiar with the conditions he is teaching/diving in. However, you are misleading a lot of people who have no experience diving in the tropics with the statement that "all you dive is a swimming pool environment". Try the Philippines with a 2.1 meter tide dropping to -.2 m. On a deep wall. If you expect "swimming pool environment", you'll be screaming for your mama. It's the ocean amigo, and it has no conscience. It is NOT a swimming pool. :D

friscuba:
Dude.... Look at NAUI. 50 logged dives required for ITC

Well, there's more to that story.

50 logged dives are required to begin ITC ... 100 logged dives are required to complete it.

Also, you have to satisfy your instructor that you've not only met the requirements set forth in the standards, but also satisfy the "loved one" concept. In essence, before any CD will sign off on your ITC, they have to feel comfortable that they'd entrust one of their own loved ones in your care as an instructor.

Yes, it's subjective ... but it tends to weed out the folks who are trying to "meet the numbers" by doing a bunch of short, easy dives without actually learning any skills.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

billmach:
when I went looking to get my OW cert. I did alot of shopping around and feeling out dive instructors. one guy who offered to cert me in a private class
wanted me to go online and take a scuba classoom course he recomended.
I checked it out just to see it and the test was bunk! anytime you got a question wrong all you had to do go back one page and it reset the module. you could do that
as often as you liked until it gave you 100%. thats totally wrong NO STUDY NEEDED!
When I called him to ask him why he would appove of this he said thats what he did 6 weeks earlier??????? and this guy is an instructor?????? Oh and by the way he was NAUI and so is the 7 module test. I thankfully went to a local LDS and got certified
by an awesome PADI trainer.No short cuts .
So I really dont think it has to do with the certifing agency
It has to do with the competence of the instructor.

I don't believe NAUI has online testing. SDI/TDI does (our shop is primarily NAUI but several instructors have crossovers to various agencies) and we get several of them through each month. From what I'm told by the shop owner, those misses do register and the instructor can see that you missed them. That's my understanding anyway. I've not personally seen the test results.

Joe

Sideband:
I don't believe NAUI has online testing. SDI/TDI does (our shop is primarily NAUI but several instructors have crossovers to various agencies) and we get several of them through each month. From what I'm told by the shop owner, those misses do register and the instructor can see that you missed them. That's my understanding anyway. I've not personally seen the test results.

Joe

heres the link to the online test I did . I completed this test in 10 mins
just to see if you can cheat it and yes you can. instructors check it?
i got my classroom cert. all nice and pretty in a matter of days.I can scan it if you like.
im just glad i had the smarts to go to a real classroom and learn and take the test.
and yes the instructor who signed it was naui . im sorry but not safe. it,s all about the money to some i guess. http://www.onlinescubalessons.com/store/corres.html

Among the great things about BSAC I liked is the requirement that you only needed 10 dives to advance from novice to sports diver (this was before the introduction of ocean diver and that BS). BUT of those 10 dives you needed to show a range of experience, deep, decompression dive, night dive, drift dive, low vis dive, wreck dive, boat dive, shore dive, river dive etc., I too have seen people intent on making up their dive numbers to become a Master Diver who did the 20 down, 10 up cycle for a day. But there is an issue with requiring a certain number of dives, people will always do that, requiring a certain number of dives, a minimum cumulative bottom time and a range of experience is the way to ensure experience. It also means that LDS are more likely to keep their students diving with them for longer for their various experience dives. I hope to one day certify with BSAC or YMCA as an instructor - I don't like the idea of being forced to "sell" equipment to students or use equipment I don't like!

Back
Top Bottom