Ginnie Springs or Blue Grotto???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottyK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey All.....

Jen and I are doing an East Coast road trip the week of April 5th. We're going to be doing some diving in NC, SC and Florida while we're scouting around for some possible areas to relocate to.

We're going down the east coast, and then working our way back up along The Gulf. We'll be ending up in Gainesville late Wednesday 4/7. Our plan is to check out of our hotel early Thursday, and spend the whole day at either Blue Grotto or Ginnie Springs.

Does anyone have any insight or opinions as to which place would be better for a full day (i.e. has more to do and see)?? We'd like to do at least two dives, and maybe some hiking or canoeing if it's available.

Also, if anyone's going to be free for diving Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, let me know. We're going out on the Venice boat dive with Florida West Scuba on Wednesday 4/7, and are up for just about anything on Tuesday.

Scott

I'd suggest Ginnie, there's more land there to hike on (not that much, mind you) and you can rent canoes and paddle the Sante Fe River.

Ben

OneBrightGator:
I'd suggest Ginnie, there's more land there to hike on (not that much, mind you) and you can rent canoes and paddle the Sante Fe River.

Ben

Ginnie would have more to do. If I didn't have to work I'd come canoe with you.

Ginnie will allow you to do several dives:

1. the ballroom (the best for open water)

2. no-lights dive at Little Devil

3. no-lights dive at Devil's Eye

4. no-lights dive at Devil's Ear

3 is a nice cavern dive if you are certified. 4 is an awesome cavern dive if you
are certified.

Ginnie hands down!!! Blue Grotto is nice but only good for one dive and then nothing else. Ginnie has camping, etc.. and you can do three dives easy at Ginnie and not get bored. Make sure you do both major spring locations and then try to do a drift dive of the river if it's not flooded. Jus call Ginnie or go to there web page and they will answer questions. Nice place. One of my favs Fl. Have fun!

nope, but it's $30.00 a pop each

The only thing Blue Grotto has over Ginnie is depth, if that sort of thing matters to you.

I just came back from a weekend of diving in FL ( yeah!!). I did Blue Grotto Friday and Ginnie on Sun. I'll have to agree with the comments previously posted. Blue Grotto is a great dive but you do it once and there is nothing else to see. The grounds and the facilities at Ginnie are great. Nice camp sites and more diving than I had time. I can't way to go back and camp on site. Ginnie and Blue Grotto are appox. 40miles apart. Do both if you have the time.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom