Gili's, Lombok or Komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vknight

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everyone

My husband and I travel to Bali quite regularly and love diving the North and North East Coast however I am planning a trip from 24 Dec - 5 Jan and cannot decide where to go. I have searched and searched for information and get such a mixed amount of views.

Gili's, Lombok or Komodo? Any personal recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
V

Diving in Indonesia 7 years now. Never thought the Gilis or Lombok interesting enough to try. Prefer Lembeh Strait, or Ambon. For December, I think Raja Ampat a better choice than Komodo.

Another possibility, if schedules line up, is Wakatobi.

Helpful to know whether you are seeking land or liveaboard for Komodo or Raja Ampat.

Of the three places you're considering, Komodo is world class. There's a few dives in the South of Lombok, in Belongas Bay, that can compete. But really, it's Komodo far and away the best of the three. I think of Komodo as kind of a mini Raja Ampat, and a lot easier to get to ... but without RA's stunning topside scenery.

Another vote for Komodo, which is definitely on my top list, although december might not be very good timing for the northern sites.
The Gilis are more of a backpacker beach place offering diving around, I don't think south Lombok provides many interesting sites with the exception of the famous "Magnet".

Never been to Raja Ampat but Ambon and generally speaking central Maluku, impressed me a lot.

When u say that komodo is by far the best of the 3, to what would u compare komodo to, sipadan ?

Another vote for Komodo, which is definitely on my top list, although december might not be very good timing for the northern sites.
The Gilis are more of a backpacker beach place offering diving around, I don't think south Lombok provides many interesting sites with the exception of the famous "Magnet".

Never been to Raja Ampat but Ambon and generally speaking central Maluku, impressed me a lot.

I have been to the Gilis, Lombok, Komodo and Sipadan.
I agree that Komodo is top! Better then Sipadan? It's always difficult to compare and say better then this or that.
Sipadan is only walldiving. A lot of white tips and many many turtles. I liked it. You can combine this with Mabul which is great for macro.
Is Komodo better? For me Komodo was more full of surprises. South Rinca is worldclass. Current was more complex in Komodo then in Sipadan where it's mainly driftdiving.
Gilis: I have been diving there for 1 week. If you want to relax and dive it's OK but I rate Bali much better. In Lombok I have been diving in Sekorong with Divezone. The reefs were surprisingly good but as said Komodo is better. We were touring there for 1 week and stopped for 1 day diving. It's not what you call 'the diving destination' but it's really ok with healthy colourfull reefs.

Thanks so much for all of your thoughts and information.

We have decided to give Lombok and Gili's a miss and do a 5 day live aboard at Komodo. Just have to wait until December now :(

Lucky we are off to Bali on Saturday! Looking forward to Tulamben, Amed and Menaganin Island for the 4th time!

Back
Top Bottom