Gilis Diving Trip Report (End May 2010)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aggarwal_r

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Fellow-Divers,

I just returned from a 3 day dive trip to the Gilis. Here's a dive report:

Weather
The temperature was about 33 degrees Centigrade in the day. Its near the end of the rainy season so it was cloudy on most days with short spells of rain. But each day the sun shone through for at least 2 to 8 hours.

Water
The water temperature was around 28 degrees C. Visibility was about 18m though it went down in some parts. Currents were medium so most of the diving was of the drift variety. Hot and cold waters were mixing at most dive sites.

Sea Life
We saw turtles galore, white tip sharks, black tip sharks and even one 3m thresher shark, bump head parrot fish, and cuttle fish. The coral quality varied by site. At some sites the coral was quite bleached with small islands of remaining life.

Operators
We used two operators - Blue Marlin and Dream Divers. Both seemed fine. Although after our dives we realised that prices are quite negotiable and large discounts can be obtained. On average we were charged about USD 38 for each dive. We estimate that we could've gotten atleast a 25% discount on those rates. Sometimes it may be easier to negotiate the rates once you get there rather than over the internet.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

Hi,

That's really useful :) I am trying to prepare a trip there. Did you book there before coming or checking there? My trip will be almost 3 weeks with a mix between Bali, Lombok and maybe a liveabroad. Don't know exactly yet.... So any comments or idea are welcome.

Thank you again for this feedback.
Yvan

Hi Yvan,

I booked before I got there. But after one day of diving switched operators after I got a better price from another operator.

Personally, I think the diving in Bali is nicer than at the Gilis. In Bali stay on the south side of the island if you intend to dive. Otherwise the driving times can get very long and painful. Also would recommend staying at the Gilis rather than in Lombok. Let me know if you have any more specific questions and I'm happy to help.

Cheers,
Rahul

Hi Rahul,

Thank you again. Here is what I planned for Bali and Lombok:
- 5 days of diving around Gili Trawangan (Hope I can dive in the 3 islands from Trawangan)
- 1 day off diving and visit Sengiggi and Mataram
- 5 days of diving in Nusa Lembongan
- 5 days of diving in Tulamben (Hope we can dive to amed from here)
- 2 days off diving before the flight back.

Yvan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom