Gili islands first, then Komodo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

livingsea

New
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Indonesia from late August to late September. I have my AOW and am comfortable in most conditions. However, my gf has scuba dived only twice before (discover scuba stuff). She is looking to get her OW in Indonesia. She is very athletic and comfortable in the water, so I think she will be OK to dive in Komodo if we are smart about choosing a good dive operator. But I am wondering - would it be better to get her certified in Bali or Gili islands first and then try Komodo? I'm just worried about her learning in Komodo. And is a Komodo liveaboard totally out of the question for a beginner diver?

There are land based operators on Labuan Bajo eg. Scuba Junkie Komodo.
A good dive operator probably won't accept a newly qualified OW diver for their liveaboad trips to Komodo.

I think your idea of getting her OW certified in either the Gilli's or Bali is a great idea. That should take 3 days. I would then spend another few days doing fun dives, just to get her fully immersed. After that I would say that a live-aboard to Komodo should be fine. Just make sure the cruise director is aware of how comfortable your gf is in currents, typically they are very accommodating. Enjoy

Although this is usually a bit more expensive than in Bali or Gili, it is possible to do an Open Water Course in Komodo. The responsible land based operators in Labuan Bajo take OW students to easy dive sites outside the Park until they can judge if the student can handle an easy/medium site inside the Park. Most will do their course at Sebayor/Sabolan (outside the Park) or in the bay of Siaba Besar (inside). It is indeed recommended to do the course land-based from Labuan Bajo before joining a Komodo liveaboard trip with the same operator so the instructor may be able to join or at least communicate your girlfriend's needs to colleagues. She will have to understand that not all dive sites would be accessible to her.

.....She will have to understand that not all dive sites would be accessible to her.
In another words she has to sit out certain dives! I can't see anyone would let her dive the shot gun.
I wonder if any operator would offer discount under the situation.

I spent a month diving out of Labuan Bajo; had a nice time there and loved the diving but the currents in the water there were an experience for sure; I had not encountered currents like that before or since. That said, current could be a problem for a new diver; but it would also be a good training opportunity for dealing with currents.

In another words she has to sit out certain dives! I can't see anyone would let her dive the shot gun.
I wonder if any operator would offer discount under the situation.
If they are equipped with enough tenders, operators might potentially offer a private guide, usually at extra cost, so she can do dive sites slightly differently or go to nearby locations. I doubt you would get a discount for skipping dives, unless the boat charges a flat rate + cost per dive (this is rare).

Just do it all in Bali. Don’t need to go to Komodo for nice, easy, safe diving with guide. There are plenty of such dive sites & dive operations in Bali. Save your money for next trip to Komodo.

Once she is comfortable & confident with her diving skill. Then come back & dive in Komodo when she has about 50 ocean dives in her logbook. You both will enjoy more the full experience of diving in Komodo, especially the south part.

I think taking a new diver to Komodo which is well known for currents is a stupid idea. But people do it. I also think getting certified while on vacation is a stupid idea. But people do that too.

If possible do the certification at home before you go so you have more time to actually dive and do other fun stuff while on vacation. Diving in a lake, with no vis, that is 50 degrees is not much fun but it is only 4 dives over two days.

See Bali, do a bit of diving, take the ferry (fast boats though faster can be bouncy as hell) to the Gilis, and enjoy some down time. We enjoyed Gili Meno as it is quiet.

Back
Top Bottom