Giant stride entry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure others go further, but we have dropped in off piers and commercial wharfs that have been in the 20 ft high range; you just dip a little further down before surfacing. Hope that helps!

How far can you safely drop?

Your bio says new diver, metal detecting, and lake. Are you planning to drop off of a bridge? Do an underwater survey first! You hit mud, somebody's old washing machine, or the remains of an older bridge it can really ruin your day. Damn, somebody was actually able to pull me out of lurking. Today is mother's day, tell your mom I said "you're welcome."

Last time I ever went off a high diving board (ten feet approximately) my form was real bad. Thought I had done significant damage to a shoulder. I hadn't but I leg kicked to the side of the pool because I didn't think I could move both arms. You don't need to get too high to have a problem if your form is off.

?. Tighten your fins. Why surface?

I am sure others go further, but we have dropped in off piers and commercial wharfs that have been in the 20 ft high range; you just dip a little further down before surfacing. Hope that helps!

That's high! Any trouble keeping mask and reg in place? I would worry about the reg knocking out teeth...

You definately want to make sure you look forward, one hand on face (reg, mask) other hand on back of head (mask strap)..most important - look forward!

But what an exhilarating way to start a dive!!

I usually restrict a Giant Stride (step out with legs spread) to a few feet. Higher than than I go to a Short Step (step out and hit the water with feet together). At about 15 feet I forgo wearing fins and jump with them clipped to my belt/harness.

I usually restrict a Giant Stride (step out with legs spread) to a few feet. Higher than than I go to a Short Step (step out and hit the water with feet together). At about 15 feet I forgo wearing fins and jump with them clipped to my belt/harness.

Wouldn't you want to be able to pull your legs together when you hit the water to prevent dropping down too far?

Back
Top Bottom