Giant Stride Entry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rirarianneke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Since I never heard of these kind of entries....Can somebody explain how this is done?

Thanks

for a giant stride entry -

stand on edge of pier or boat. put a little air in wing if needed. check that you won't be jumping on anyone. look at horizon. one hand to mask & reg. one hand to gauges & belt. b i g step forward. when you hit the water, pull your feet back together if you want to surface before decending. signal 'ok'. join up with buddy & decend!

not hard at all!

Well, it's a Giant Stride. Simply stand at the entry point and step into the water holding your mask & reg with one hand and your weight belt with the other.

one small step for mankind, one giant stride for BabyDuck :D textbook explanation

dlndavid:
one small step for mankind, one giant stride for BabyDuck :D textbook explanation
thank you, thank you. <bows> you're so kind. i accept cash and pay pal.

A giant stride entry is an entry you can perform when you're on a swim platform of a boat, side of a pool, or a dock. Basically you face the water with your BC inflated (optional) and your feet at a 90 degree angle. With your back leg, take one large step (stride) into the water. Hand placement is important as well. The way I teach is you use your left hand to hold your gauges (so they don't come up and smack you) and you hold your weight belt buckle (so the belt doesn't fall off). With your right hand, you place the heel of your hand on your reg, and use your fingers to hold your mask in place. BTW scan the water first so you don't land on someone. :D

I am curious. How does one get PADI advanced, which is what your profile states, without learning a giant stride? I thought this was taught in pretty much all basic OW courses. Maybe not? Not a big deal, just curious what OW training did not include this?

Although the giant stride entry is one of the most common techniques to enter the water, it is also often the first cause of equalizing difficulty on descent. If a diver is overweight or jumps in the water with legs together, or both, often the diver will for a moment wind up 2 or 3 feet below the surface. It takes only a split second of pressure on the ears to cause minor trauma making the process of equalizing more difficult when descending.

Back
Top Bottom