Giant sand bar in Panama City????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CarmenTN

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm brand new to the board, so this may have been asked before. My family and I are traveling to Splash in Panama City in July for the first time. One of our favorite things is to snorkel for shells right off the shore. We typically go to ST. Pete or Longboat Key and its so easy to do there. They love seeing fish and are very comfortable in the water around there. I've read that PC doesn't have shells at the shore, you have to go out to a "giant sandbar" a mile out to get shells. First of all, my children are 12 and 6, and not super experienced, just snorkeling at the shore in 4 ft of water. What am I to expect? Is this a good place? How is the current? Do you really have to dive to find the shells? And then there is always that warning of sharks feeding right on the other side of the sand bar, just waiting to eat you.

Help, I need some answers!

Thanks........Carmen

Carmen,

Look up Panama City Beach on the web. Look also for "Shell Island".
There is a ferry to Shell Island. There is somewhat of a tidal pool that lies inside the jetty that makes for good snorkeling and shell hunting. You can even walk over to the ocean side of the island where you can find just bookoodles of shells.

the K

Carmen.

Welcome to Scubaboard.

Panama City isn't a "big free diving spot" so you might not find many answers with this being in the "Freediving sub-forum". You might find more answers from "locals" who dive there more often in the Deep Dixie Divers subforu. Just a suggestion.

Though I'm not an expert on the Panama City Beach sandbar offhore, I've been to the area many times. It's not 'flat water' offshore. I'd say you'd average waves 2 to 3 foot, although you might get a calm day. It's just not ideal snorkeling conditions. For kids that young only used to 4' of water, you might find the St Andrews Jetties a better location to snorkel at. Of course finding shells there might be harder as it's a popular snorkel location.

Do a google search for St. Andrews State Park and you can find more information about it. I think it's $3 or $5 per carload to enter and has a nice parking area and pavillions on the beach. To get to the opposite side of the jetty, there is a water shuttle that I think costs maybe around $5 per person if you want to snorkle the "other shore". (You'll have better chances of finding something there in my opinion).

EDIT: Looks like Kracken posted while I was writing my reply. Shell island he refers to is the locaton on the other side I was talking about.

Thanks, that's exactly the answer I'm looking for.

I just found the Deep Dixie Divers. I probably should have posted over there.

Carmen

And the children will probably really enjoy the ferry ride!

Often times porpoises will come up to the ferry looking for handouts.

the K

Wow, I didn't realize that, I thought it wouldn't be allowed. What can you feed them? My daughter would love that, she is obsessed with dolphins and manatees and has said for ages that she wants to be a marine biologist.

Since I posted in the wrong forum, can threads be moved to another board?

It's not allowed. But I didn't say it wasn't done . . . :11:

Sure, I'll move it for ya.

the K

Carmen,

here's a URL for a link to info about the "shuttle" to the other side jetty. (Shell Island)

http://www.shellislandshuttle.com/
There is a coupon you can print from that site also, fyi.

FYI, there are no facilities on Shell Island. (no bathrooms, no snack bar, no pavillions, etc).

Check out this overhead view/map of the area so you'll know what to expect
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...720568&spn=0.051147,0.061111&t=h&om=1&iwloc=A

Hope that helps.

Oh... for the best "clear water", consult a tide chart for the channel. The clearest of water for snorkling or diving will be at "high slack tide".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom