Giant pacific octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agelsey

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to visit the Pacific NW and do some diving, and I'd appreciate if someone could tell me the best times of year for seeing giant pacific octopus

thanks!

agelsey:
I'd like to visit the Pacific NW and do some diving, and I'd appreciate if someone could tell me the best times of year for seeing giant pacific octopus

thanks!

I like seeing them during the winter because the water clarity is higher and you can see them better. If you can find one during the summer when the vis is bad you are still in for a treat.

Does that answer your question? :D

There really isn't a "best time" ... they're always here. Some sites are better than others for seeing them. Adult male octos generally have more than one den, and they'll go on "walkabout" from time to time ... so even an established den will be sometimes be vacant. They are nocturnal hunters, so the best chance for seeing them out in the open is on night dives.

My AOW students were admiring one today that was in the 9 to 10-foot (tip-to-tip) range.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Best time to see the amazing GPO is when Bob will consent to take you to one. :D

Rick -- agreed! When Bob found the 2" one hanging on the kelp leaf (that I couldn't even recognize as an octopus at first, until it moved its tentacles) I realized the guy has eyes I'll never equal :)

Bob, sounds like you're the expert in spotting GPO -- any chance I could go along on a dive you're doing where we might see some?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom