Giant Pacific Octopus filming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uzun

Registered
Reaction score
Is there anywhere in BC that is fairly reliable for GPO sightings at any certain time of year? I really want to videotape some Giant Pacific Octopus, is there some very experienced dive operator who would give me the best chance of getting some half decent footage of the animals that I could contact.

-Roger Uzun
San Diego CA

You may want to contact Peter Mieras at Rendezvous Dive Ventures. Their website is www.rendezvousdiving.com. Rendezvous is located in Barkley Sound, on the west side of Vancouver Island. Lots of fantastic diving with lots of octopus. Last time I was at Rendezvous, there was a den not far from their dock. The octopus was a pretty good size, and I believe Peter could entice him out of the den. There is also access to many wrecks in the Barkley Sound area. A great place to stay - great accomodations, great food, and the hosts Peter and Kathy are really friendly people.

Hope this helps !!

Divegoose

Port Hardy is usually pretty reliable. God's Pocket and John DeBoek's place in Clam Cove are the only 2 outfits running up there now as far as I know.

Both great recommendations.

You can easily see them pretty much on every dive here in Nanaimo at certain dive sites. You just need to know where to look. Go see the dive outfitters in Nanaimo and hire a guide for the day or find a local willing to take you out. I've seen as many as 3-4 in a single dive ranging from slightly bigger then your hand to the octo sizing me up for a meal. Well not that big, but very large.

Another good option is to talk to the dive shops in Courtenay, BC. I've seen them up there as well. I'm sure they would have guides as well, either pacific pro dive or UB diving should be able to help out and both are located about 200m from each other on the main drag.

If you make it out to the area let me know, I'll take you out for a dive to the local sites here in Nanaimo where i regularly see them.

The best time to come is fall/winter as the algae blooms die off and our visibility greatly improves. Right now it ranges from 10-30 feet depending on whom you talk to and their idea of visibility. Regardless, it's not very good in the spring through summer time frame. Don't get me wrong there are dives I've been on where it was crystal clear in the summer and crappy in the winter but that is the general rule of thumb for diving out here.

Regards

Steve

Regards

Steve

I suffer from fat finger syndrome and a tiny keyboard on an iPhone. So I apologize for the typos and misspellings.

To be honest, I see octopus dens (usually multiple ones) on just about every dive at every site I've ever been to around Vancouver Island. The problem with filming them is that they're rarely out in the open. Usually you just see some white suckers tucked away under the rocks. Many film companies used to squirt "irritants" like bleach or dish soap into their dens to make them come out, but that's illegal now and very frowned on by just about everybody.

Had reports of THE FREAKING BAY on Saturday afternoon at Whytecliff.. 3 sightings, not even in their dens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom