Ghost and Minnewanka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradogie

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knows when approximately the ice clears of Ghost and Minnewanka for non-ice diving. Also has anyone heard or had any experience with the status of both lakes post last years floods?

Thanks

Minnie's vis was virtually non-existent in 2013 after the June flooding. Even in 2012 the vis had deteriorated as a consequence of the historic high snow pack and runoff in the spring of 2012.

Silt has built up over 6 inches over the dam and the house foundations. Last few weeks of ice diving yielded vis in the 5 foot or less range. It's very bleak.

Can't tell you about Ghost.

Bill

I think the ice is off Waterton first.
The Dive Shop and the underwater outlaws are planning first of the season dives early May.

I asked someone recently why there was not as much diving at Ghost. They mentioned generally poor vis. I have no first hand knowledge, though I might check it out this season.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

As Ken said, the ice is typically off Waterton Lakes first.

Ice is still on Cameron Bay in Waterton, right up to the shore with no open areas. That is pretty unusual at this time of the year. Of course so is the snow we had this morning in Canmore!

How is Two Jack Lake? Ice off? It was not too bad back in October 2013.

Open in spots but still a fair amount of cover.

Best bets for diving between late March and Late May are either the coast or someplace in the interior of BC like Kootenay Lake. Generally during this period Alberta Lakes are too unstable for ice diving and don't have enough open water for OW dives. Also last years floods have significantly changed what one can expect for spring diving, especially for Calgary divers. In the past, spring diving in the Banff area was do-able but vis was always dodgey Given the recent reports from Calgary divers I can't imagine that anyone should expect anything better this year and I expect that spring diving this year in Minny will be more challenging than usual.

FWIW Jasper usually has better vis than Minny or Two Jack during the spring/early summer.Twin Lakes (by Pigeon) is usually open by early May.

A few people have already been out to Minni...and Aquasports is planning to run a rescue course at Two Jack and Minni this weekend.

It's great when the ice is off early!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom