Getting to pack for my next trip, wow so much stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kenr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Packing up my scuba and camera gear is always a pain. Last trip when i got to the dive resort I couldn't locate my tray. I had a little panic but i found it wrapped up in shirt. Imagine forgetting to take something critical like your camera charger? This trip I am finnally organizing my self and preparing a checklist of things i need to take. The list seems to get longer each trip. Now flying and getting caught with excess bagage can be very expensive. I have a few tips that have worked for me. Most airlines allow a carry-on bag if it meets their size dimensions and one other personal bag like a purse or a brief case. I have two perfect bags for that. I have a Dive Caddy for my carry-on, its perfect for all of my scuba gear and a few odds and ends. I also have a Think Tank Urban Disguise 60. It looks just like a brief case but holds a ton of camera equipment. I can fit my OM-D, housing, 4 lenses, 45 deg viewfinder, ports, flash, 2 underwater strobes (i have the tiny inon strobes), my headphones for the flight and a bunch of accessories. I also have a Balanzza portable electronic scale so I can weigh my check-in luggage, its paid for itself many times over. I wouldnt want to travel without it. I have so much stuff, in addition to my OMD I carry a E-PM1 for a backup dive camera, gopro. This trip I will see if I can fit in a 13cf pony and with a regulator and mount, not to mention my Taylor GS mini guitar.

What are your tips?

Ken

Packing up my scuba and camera gear is always a pain. Last trip when i got to the dive resort I couldn't locate my tray. I had a little panic but i found it wrapped up in shirt. Imagine forgetting to take something critical like your camera charger? This trip I am finnally organizing my self and preparing a checklist of things i need to take. The list seems to get longer each trip. Now flying and getting caught with excess bagage can be very expensive. I have a few tips that have worked for me. Most airlines allow a carry-on bag if it meets their size dimensions and one other personal bag like a purse or a brief case. I have two perfect bags for that. I have a Dive Caddy for my carry-on, its perfect for all of my scuba gear and a few odds and ends. I also have a Think Tank Urban Disguise 60. It looks just like a brief case but holds a ton of camera equipment. I can fit my OM-D, housing, 4 lenses, 45 deg viewfinder, ports, flash, 2 underwater strobes (i have the tiny inon strobes), my headphones for the flight and a bunch of accessories. I also have a Balanzza portable electronic scale so I can weigh my check-in luggage, its paid for itself many times over. I wouldnt want to travel without it. I have so much stuff, in addition to my OMD I carry a E-PM1 for a backup dive camera, gopro. This trip I will see if I can fit in a 13cf pony and with a regulator and mount, not to mention my Taylor GS mini guitar.

What are your tips?

Ken

Unfortunately, I don't have to imagine. I left the Allen wrench that tightened the nut that held my strobe in place. The resort (Turneffe Island Resort) didn't have a metric (or was it imperial?) wrench set, so I did the dives with only one strobe.

My tip is to pack your camera gear carefully at the end of a trip and don't unpack it. Store your gear in the suitcase it travels in, and it will be ready to go for the next trip. My other tip is to bring less stuff.

Ken,

You wanna bring a pony and you want tips on excess baggage? Isn't that an oxymoron?

When do you get to Manila? I'm arriving on the 24th and spending night in Manila.

- Chuck

Chuck
I am flying into Manila early morning on the 24th from San Jose, Mindoro. I might go to Crystal Blue a day early if they are doing free transportation the day before or I might spend the night in Manila and get my visa extension as I am going to overstay the 21 automatic visa. Where are you staying in Manila?
Ken

You can also consider a photographer jacket, it has big pockets and you can store many lenses and heavy gear on it. In one of the pockets you can they store a dry bag or something else to move them once you get on board

Chuck
I am flying into Manila early morning on the 24th from San Jose, Mindoro. I might go to Crystal Blue a day early if they are doing free transportation the day before or I might spend the night in Manila and get my visa extension as I am going to overstay the 21 automatic visa. Where are you staying in Manila?
Ken

I'm arriving around noon and was also looking to extend my visa as I'm staying about 24 days. I've heard you can do it right at the airport do you know? I'm staying at the Oxford Suites Makati. I know the resort will pick me up there on thursday morning and get me there for the afternoon and night dive.

Back
Top Bottom