Getting to NC dive sites from New Jersey (Newark) by train

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm considering going to North Carolina for wreck diving next month, maybe the Wilmington area. Won't fly and prefer not to drive and was wondering about taking Amtrak from Newark.

re you familiar with any destinations they go to which are near dive areas? Doesn't actually have to be Wilmigton per se. I could rent a car once I get there.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

According to Amrtrak's website, they don't serve any stations on or near the coast. Raleigh would be the closest and as Capt James said, it's a goodly distance to the coast.

Based on my experience with Amtrak, I think you can get their faster and a lot cheaper iif you just drive if that is an option. Not many trains run south of DC and Newark to Raleigh is a 10 hour trip then you'd have to add 3 hours to get to the coast. It's about a 6 hour drive from DC to Morehead and a 3 to 4 hour drive from DC to Newark.

Something else to think about as well. Amtrak WILL NOT let any tanks reagardless of size or type on their trains pressureized. This is for scuba tanks anyway. I and a buddy looked into something similar a few years ago. If you want to take your own tanks it will be a huge hassle to do so. So renting them would be you only real option. Would have to agree it would be cheaper to drive.

Amtrak goes through Wilson and Rocky Mount, which I think are the closest they get to the Morehead area. You still have a bit of driving from there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom