Getting to/from Kona and Hilo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clpkab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Trying to work out some travel arrangements for an upcoming trip...

Other than a one way car rental or what appears to be a very expensive taxi ride, does anyone know of way to get between the airports in Kona and Hilo?

Thanks.

Trying to work out some travel arrangements for an upcoming trip...

Other than a one way car rental or what appears to be a very expensive taxi ride, does anyone know of way to get between the airports in Kona and Hilo?

Thanks.

I travel to both places frequently and there is no other way than driving. And many rental car companies do not allow using the saddle road over the side of Mauna Kea. You have to use the slightly longer belt road. I agree that this is a problem for Hawaii Island visitors.

The Hele-on bus is the only cheap solution, and it only makes one 1-2 trips a day, so you'd have to time it perfectly to not have to wait (for hours and hours and possibly overnight). I don't believe it actually stops at either airport.

A car is the only real way to get around here unless your goal is to stay in one spot, such as the resort you are at, and not look at anything else.

Thanks for the info. I'm flying into/out of Kona and will have a rental car to get around and carry my gear. But someone who may be joining me might have to fly into one and out of the other (joys of using frequent flier miles) so I was trying to explore options.

I am not aware of any remaining rental car restrictions on driving Saddle Road, much of the road has been repaved or outright rebuilt, not the same as it was. Most still do not allow travel to the summit of Mauna Kea or into Waipio, but that is about all that remains on the contracts. You can always check before you rent, but you are probably OK.

Hele-On is the only public/cheap transport around the island. But the schedules are sparse for the long runs, and as mentioned, there are few stops.

Just plan a day for exploring the island above water? Drive the Hamakua coast and visit the waterfalls and botanical gardens? Hit the airport, get a meal in Hilo? Come back via Saddle Road and visit Mauna Kea?

The Hele-On Intra-Kona route does now go to the Kona Airport. Not aware of any going to Hilo Airport. As others have mentioned, scheduling is sparse. And you'd probably need a short taxi ride between the Hilo Airport and a Hele-On bus stop (or walk / hitch). Not necessarily convenient, but potentially do-able. And cheap.

Back
Top Bottom