Getting the boot off...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

notabob

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, what would be the best way to get a boot off a painted faber steel tank without scratching up the paint? I'm considering buying a pair of LP 95s that I'm currently borrowing, but there is some rust visible through the boot drain hole and I want to make sure that they won't fail the next VI before I shell out the dough. These are white ScubaPro Fabers and the boots seem to be wedged on there pretty tightly. They appear to be factory boots (or so I think I read somewhere), i.e. solid round rubber boot with 1 small drain hole on the bottom. I'm thinking about having them VI'd anyway, but I'm not sure if the shop actually takes the boots off during the process. Plus, if the rust under the boot seems bad enough already, I might as well save myself a few $$ on the VI and pass on the tanks. I like the tanks and the price is right, but $$ is short and I'd rather be careful. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Roman.

Tap the boot off with a hard rubber mallet...

Jeff Lane

rmediver2002 once bubbled...
Tap the boot off with a hard rubber mallet...

Jeff Lane

...hitting the bottom portion that's below the tank itself at a slant?

-Roman.

Plunge the tank bottom in hot water for 10 minutes and remove. Sit on a bench with the tank between your legs and push on the boot with your feet. Alternately, use a rubber mallet to get it started.

I have an OMS/Faber 98 with a "tight" boot similar to the one you're describing.

I have a small piece of wood -- it's about 1" x 1" and about 8" long. I wrap a towel around it to avoid scratching. I place this piece of wood up against the top of the boot with the tank balanced on something and tap the end of the wood lightly with a rubber mallet. I do this gently, slowly advancing around the tank after tapping a given spot 3-4 times.

Thanks everyone, I'll try 'em after I "empty" the tanks this weekend and we'll see what happens....

-Roman.

notabob once bubbled...
I'm thinking about having them VI'd anyway, but I'm not sure if the shop actually takes the boots off during the process

Well, you can always ask the LDS if they will. And you could even ask them if they can take off the boots and make the judgement on that side of things before committing to the VIP [it doesn't hurt to try :)]

I know my LDS does take off the boots, as one of my buddies tanks failed due to rust under the boot...

Spectre once bubbled...

Well, you can always ask the LDS if they will. And you could even ask them if they can take off the boots and make the judgement on that side of things before committing to the VIP [it doesn't hurt to try :)]

I know my LDS does take off the boots, as one of my buddies tanks failed due to rust under the boot...

But of course! I could always do that... But it's friday, the end of a VERY long week, and I haven't had lunch yet. Thinking straight under these conditions is bad for my health, the good doctor said. :D

-Roman.

using the wooden handle portion of a claw or ball been hammer. There should be no marks left by a polished handle! Just hold the hammer head in your hand and slide the butt of the hammer handle down until it makes solid contact with the boot. Tap first on one side and then the other. Whether they are lipped or not this is how this PSI certified tank inspector removes them thar boots before he inspects the tank.

Back
Top Bottom