getting started!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjpwong

Reaction score
hi everyone
i m currently doing the advanced open water diver course and there are 3 electives i can pick. i m quite interested in underwater photography since i have always been obsessed with the underwater marine life.
i was just wondering how could i get started in terms of equipment? there are many promising products but i have no idea what to choose from?
i m looking for equipment that is begginer-friendly and at a desent price, there is no point for me spending too much money on top-of-the-range products that i dont know how to use.....
suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.
cheers :)

Pricewise (US$; you need to perform your own translation)

< $20; semi-disposable film camera (e.g. snapsights). Fixed lens; has flash; no controls. Useful strictly for swimming pool snapshots, even though it's rated to 90 ft depth.

~$100; housed point-and-shoot film camera (e.g. Bonica Handy Snapper). Has flash; has some auto exposure control electronics. I have no experience with them, sorry.

~$400; relatively 'low-end' digital camera + housing ($180 for housing, $220 for camera). What I would consider the minimum acceptable entry-level for UW photography. (But you need to add another $50 to that estimate for an extra memory card). The advantages to a housed digital camera are: (a) instant feedback on your shot, (b) ability to control the exposure (flash on/off; exposure compensation for over/under exposed; etc.) BTW, a 'low-end' digital camera today is a top-of-the-line digital camera 5 yrs ago!

thanks mate
just some other questions.......i have a 3.2 megapixel camera for general use on land, would i be able to use that under water once i buy the right housing for it or housing only comes with the camera?
cheers

I still use my Canon A75 (3.2 MP) camera in the Canon housing. Love it - recommend it as a relatively inexpensive way to get into things...if you've got more money you're willing to part with, head to the Canon A95 or S70 (I have not used the S70, but am hearing very nice things from those who are using them...I am hopeful one will come my way soon!)

I've blown photos from the A70 (that I had pre A75, still a 3.2 MP) up to 8x10 - as long as the original was nice the print turned out nice, too. A pro lab can do even better - a friend's got a HUGE photo from hers.

Back
Top Bottom