Getting Started In Minnesota

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMF89

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey guys, my name's Tyler Flom, and I just registered here. I'm from Burnsville, Minnesota (the Twin Cities area). I currently attend college at Bemidji State University, in Bemidji, where I am taking my certification course. I haven't even entered the pool yet, but I plan on jumping in and land running! When at home I work at the local Gander Mountain in the fishing department, and up here I work for the University doing web design.

I'd like to get my own equipment as soon as possible, so I'd like to get an idea of what I should look for, and how much it'll cost me.

As far as brands go, I have no idea at all about that, so if you guys could recommend some brands that'd be great. If you guys could make any recommendations on your experience, pricing, and where/how you dive, I would REALLY appreciate it.

As far as tanks go, I'm thinking an 80 PSI? Not sure if I got that abbreviation right.

For a BC, backpack style, but what extras/accessories should I look for in one? Integrated weight system or not?

I already have boots, they're 5mm, I imagine those will work? I also have a mask/snorkel set-up, and cheap fins. Well not cheap necessarily, but old and used, so I'd like to get a new set of fins, what would you guys recommend? I plan on doing mainly shallow dives, less than 60 feet, although I imagine I'll eventually do deeper ones up north/on the Great Lakes.

For a suit, I'm thinking a full body 5 or 7mm wetsuit with hood? Any suggestions there?

What should I look for as far as knives, lights, gloves, gauges, and other accessories? I know this seems like a lot of information I'm asking for, but I'd REALLY appreciate it if you guys could help me out on this.

Also, where are some good diving spots in the Twin Cities/Metro area? Thanks again guys!

Make sure you check in with the LDS and see what brands they carry and what they service. I know you can send out your equipment for service but you may need a quick fix now and again and you would want them to be able to help you. Also when you decide to buy talk to them and see what they can do for a price. I know my local shop can't do much with the prices but they do offer other comps when you buy equipment there, as 10% back in air, 10 free fills with AL tanks and 20 with steel and they double the warranty period on equipment bought from them. It makes for a win win when I buy from them.
Good luck with your class and have fun!!!

Welcome.

I am just down the road from you. There area tons of places to go diving in the land of 10,000 lakes.

Some of the most popular places are square lake (stillwater area) crosby mines (look up north) lake wazee (just into WI) and of course diving in Superior.

As mentioned the MNscuba is a good resource. Also check out this link on local diving: Scuba Center - Local Diving in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and surrounding areas | Square Lake, Perch Lake, Crosby, Lake Wazee,...

Disclamer: I am not a customer of this shop, for various reasons, but they have the best info on local diving.

As for advice about diving gear with as cold as the temps get up here I would recomend a dry suit or at least a 7 mil if you want to make the most out of your diving in MN.

Find a good dive shop.

Also later this month is a great diving show. Info can be found at Great Lakes Shipwreck Preservation Society Home Page

Seek reliable and competent counsel. It will safe you money in the long run. Ask a lot of questions and try to get an idea for where your diving may take you in the future. I suggest doing some diving and waiting till you get some experience to know what you will like or want before spending the bucks.

Talking to your instructors and LDS and spending time here reading and asking questions is a great place to start your education. Diving is a gear intensive sport and an expensive one. In a perfect world you only want to buy once, in reality you will likely update or change your gear as you progress. However if you take the time to do your homework you can probably save some by waiting a while even if this means renting some gear for a while.

Renting gives you the ability to try different gear like BCDs and regulators to get an idea what will work for you and what you like.

Go ahead and get your mask, booties, fins, wetsuit and snorkel and wait for the expensive purchases till you have some dive and gear experience.

Renting gives you the ability to try different gear like BCDs and regulators to get an idea what will work for you and what you like.

Agreed.

In the end you have to educate yourself, try out different configurations and decide for yourself what is right for you. A-LOT of divers are VERY opinionated, if you havn't guessed that by now. What may work well in a Florida cave might not be right for Minnesota. If diving is a sport you want to do for more than a couple of months in the Minnesota summer look at getting a dry suit. It will double your diving season an keep you diving.

Welcome Tyler;

Here's my $.02 worth on two items: First, I would recommend you get a 7mm farmer John wet suit that fits you well. (custom made if possible, but not required) This will give you 14mm over the core area of your body. I would add a 5mm hooded vest with this for extra warmth over the core. You could dive Lake Superior in the Spring with that combo. This vest also almost eliminates water exchange while diving. I would not get into the high dollars of a dry suit yet until you really develop the passion for year round diving. Second, since you're going to keep your diving at 60' or less, dive the tables; I would not invest into a computer for the same reason as the dry suit. Give it a year to see just how far you will be going with diving. My last comment: get involved with a club or group of veteran divers; you will quickly learn much about equipment and configurations. And if you really want to get corrupted, come to Gilboa, Ohio the last weekend in April.:eyebrow: You'll learn things there that go way beyond your OW classes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom