Getting Riggy with it! Rigs dive 1_19_08 (Part 1 of 2: "The Wides")

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Claudette and I did out first Rigs dive back in May when Lynne and Peter came to SoCal. Report here: Linkola I remember enjoying the dives, but I also remember two specific things I'd change next time:

1) Take a wide angle lens down for at least one of the dives. Viz in May was stellar and even though its very, very dark down there, it would be an interesting challenge to shoot some W/A

2) Scooter - I vowed to not dive the rigs again without a scooter

Unfortunately, the viz wasn't as good as it was in May. It was good, and the water was thankfully warmer (54 as opposed to 50) but the water is still so dark down there - making the W/A shots challenging.

We were on the Eureka today. This rig is very dark. You are diving deep under a huge platform, and amongst dozens of large pilings and drilling tubes. And every 50 to 75 feet all of this vertical hardware intersects with another platform - all of this stuff blocks the sun, so its always dark under there (you shoot very slow shutter speeds in the darkness.)

You're in the open ocean - over about 650 feet. So there are currents and swells - and as they hit all of this hardware the place is awash with unpredictable swells and currents.

Anyway - I'm not complaining, but I was disappointed with the shots I brought back, technically. Slow shutters in all that darkness and surge isn't like shooting on a Caribbean reef. The W/A shots came back without the clarity and crispness I was hoping for.

Artistically, I was able to capture the essence of SoCal rigs diving - which is also important to me. Cold, brooding, darkness, industrial, a little goth.

What I'm saying is I'm not nearly as attracted to a clear shot that says nothing, as opposed to a soft shot that captures the moment. And with these shots I was able to achieve more of the latter.

THE TEAM
Claudette (of course) and Ken Liu. Its no secret Chica and I have been looking for a third. Ken has dived with Claudette and I on a number of occasions recently, and is at present main-lining the Koolaid. What separates Ken from many of the divers Chica and I dive with is he has fun. He is courageous, gregarious, he never complains and loves to have fun. He's acquiring the skills dive by dive, and that's important - but what I really love about the guy is he loves every dive.

In all the dives we've done with Ken, we hadn't had Ken on the scooter before. We took him in a brief romp in San Diego a couple of months ago, but that's it. The Rigs can be a serious dive, so I wanted to be sure if we're diving a 3 on Saturday, we need to get this kid in Scooter School pronto. So on Friday (night before the dive) Claudette and I met Ken at Vets and for about an hour we went to Scooter School. Safety, arresting a run-away, towing, emergency procedures, fitting, etc. He'd also never used a Can light, so I brought Jaye's 18W for him to get a feel for.

I gotta give mad lovin to Ken. We was excellent. He stayed close, he Scootered with confidence, his light signals were understandable, he was in control, he dived with confidence and he had fun. I could hear him laughing (that low "huh, huh" guys do) throughout each dive.

THE DIVES
Chica and I brought three 130's, filled phat (3600) with 32. We knew the first dive would be long and deep. The three of us were on the first team. You "live boat" the rigs, as there is no anchoring (650+ FSW) and no tying off to the structure. Your number is called, your team spalshes and the boat pulls around to drop another team.

For each dive today, we were the first team in and the last one out, with the exception of two divers that went to 160 FSW on dive one - and we were trying ou best to keep the dives about an hour.

Dive One

With the 32 flowing all day, and the luxurious 90 to 100+ minute surface intervals, we could have stayed longer, for sure. Especially with the Sea Lions wanting to play and play above 40 FSW. I swear, I'll never understand divers who don't dive the full 60 minutes on these boat dives. What's the deal with not wanting to maximize your BT? Anyway, dive two was a little shallower and a little warmer than dive one.

I wouldn't say we dive aggressively - but we do dive assertively. And this trip was no exception. Long dives, deep with smooth profiles and lots of time above 40 FSW. I like rigs diving.

Dive Two

Here are selected Wide Angles - I'll post the macros tomorrow some time - the macro life on the rigs is remarkable. Dive 3 was the macro dive. A link to the full 1-19-08 Rigs gallery is here: Linkage

Enjoy.

---
Ken

====================================
====================================

The Team - Ken Liu and Claudette

One of the best things about this day is on this boat were two people I deeply love and respect: Karim from Hollywood Divers and MHK - my Fundies instructor. They were working most of the day (read: this wasn't the silly fun trip for them that it was for Ken, Chica and I) so I didn't get to hang out too much with them. I did roll up on Michael on dive two, and snapped a couple of shots of him.

One of the coolest features on the rigs is after you hop off the live boat, you kick over and literally drop into the unknown. Your eyes are still adjusting on the descent, and it takes awhile. This shot captures well that feeling of falling into the hardware

Once you're in, there is this maze of vertical pillars and horizontal shelves. Its made for scooters - its like playtime slalom down there.

Chica playing while Ken gets his Scooter on

Ken, getting himself sorted out. He did great for his first time with a Scooter and a can light!

I handed the cam to Chica. She took this shot of me. I am SO shaving off my Barstow Trucker moustache tomorrow....

I've shot lots of portraits underwater. This is my favorite. I got Claudette to "sit" for this shot without knowing I was doing a portrait. I just asked her to stop for a moment, and she did - and she was looking afar off. This is SoCal diving, and this is my buddy (how lucky am I???) Dark, deep, cold, currents, surge, structure - but she's dialed in, squared away and confident. This shot says so much about her - its my favorite shot of the trip.

Ken didn't play much with the puppies, but Chica and I sure did. Here are some play time shots

On the first two dives, the Sea Lions didn't meet us until about 45 FSW. By the third dive, they wanted to play even more, and they came down to 65 FSW to get us. It was silly.

Chica and the Sea Lions...

This shot probably gives you the best idea of what its like down there. Lots of structure, green water, and plenty of space to run the scoots.

We hit it hard, dived long and saw so much great stuff. I can only do these dives with a great team.

Ken: you were so much fun to dive with. You are on an excellent road - stick with it, keep having fun and choose your buddy's wisely.

Claudette: you remain forever the apex buddy. I wouldn't be able to do this stuff without you. Thanks for pouring so much into our team.

Okay Ken, this pic is ridiculous! I gotta say that when I saw that you started to shoot some wide angle I was so stoked. The macro stuff rocks no doubt, but the wide angle shots IMO take a different type of photographer. And it seems that you've got both down, nice work brutha.

Mr Liu told me about this dive and now I'm even more jealous. Now that my video rig is up and running I'm so thinking about one of those scoots, now where can I find a quick $4K?

Keep it up bro I can't wait to see the next batch of WA shots.

Billy

Thank you for the small glimpse into your dives. I enjoyed the photos.
Sounds like you guys had a blast. Glad to hear it.

I think this is the trip Hal mentioned to me two weeks ago. Did you go on the Hollywood Divers cool orange boat? I have to book a trip with them just to get on that boat (who cares about the diving :D )!!!

I met Ken Liu on Sunday, seems like he'd make a great team mate for you two and you two for him.

The portrait of "Our Claudette" is a stunner, but I'm with Billy on the solo sea lion shot. I love the space man!

Speaking of 'Dette, on our way to dive Nicholas Canyon Saturday with John, the local college station played Dwight Yokum singing "Claudette"!

PS: I am SOOOOOO jealous of Ken Liu :wink:

PPS: Maybe you could start an underwater portrait biz Ken. When can I make an appointment?

Dear Ken,

Thank you very much for the kind words. The feelings are mutual. Awesome pictures. Congratulations. I need to show you some pictures that I took on the oil rigs next time I see you. You are absolutely right, the oil rigs are truly a gem for picture opportunities. Great report, could not be better. Safe diving to you, Claudette, and Ken. BTW you guys are doing a great job introducing this young man, Ken, to proper diving techniques. Keep going Ken and Ken. Cheers.

Karim from Hollywoodivers

Are you using the reefnet sensus ultra? I didn't know they made the program for a mac.

I couldn't dive this way before Michael Kane and Brando Swartz taught me so much in GUE/Fundamentals.... and then Michael continued with more in GUE/Recreational TriOx.

Not that I don't have 9X more to learn... because I do!

But these two classes were crucial turning points in my diving.
Michael, especially, poured so much knowledge and technique and underwater "smarts" into my class that we were all changed significantly.

I can't say this enough:
Michael Kane and GUE changed my diving.
  • I dive smarter and have more brain cells free to enjoy the dive
  • I tackle more challenging dives more intelligently, and clearly recognize the dives for which I don't have the right skills.
  • I dive harder than I used to, and have had far, FAR fewer unscheduled rough moments underwater than I did in the 300 dives and 3 years of diving before Fundamentals.
  • I'm part of a team when I dive. We may call each other "buddy", but it's far more than that. We are a team. Teams are built, not found. Good teams open doors to safe and fun experiences.
    Choose wisely. Work hard. Play harder. Manage your gear. Show up.
I didn't mean to turn this into an advertisement for GUE.
But when I looked again at Ken's magnificent photographs of these oil rig dives it was a moment of recognition and appreciation.

I get to do this kind of diving for many reasons. (Ken K. would need about 5 chapters just for him: experience, focus, safety, gear, attitude... whew.. it's extensive! Class is class. Experience puts it together.)

But reliably solid skills come from somewhere.
Michael Kane, Brando Swartz, and GUE provided a bedrock foundation for my over-the-top diving fun.

Thanks!

~~~~
Claudette

Are you using the reefnet sensus ultra? I didn't know they made the program for a mac.

It works perfectly on my Mac.

Which is much more than I can say about Mac DiveLog, which claims to be able to import Sensus Ultra data, but simply doesn't.

If anyone knows of a nice Dive Log program for Mac that really does work with the Sensus Ultra, let me know. Several attempts to reach the guy at Mac Dive Log have gone unanswered and I'm kicking that thing to the curb.

Thanks

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom